versatile brittany

big_fish

versatile brittany

Post by big_fish » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Anyone else use their brittany (or any pointing breed) for waterfowl hunting?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Have, could more, but don't, really no point in it for me personally.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: versatile brittany

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Pretty sure there is a NAVHDA VC titled french britt. Or maybe it was UT which is still a huge accomplishment. Can't remember the name though. My pointing dogs (GSPs) are "expected" to be versatile. :wink:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 pm

Fella used to post here named Craig has a NAVHDA VC Pointer.....

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:27 am

Have seen a few VERY GOOD versatile Britts over the years. Somewhere in the mid 1990s, a dog named Rusty from upstate NY ran a max score and became a VC....haven't seen a better dog in the water...a little powerhouse.

Don't think there is a great deal of interest in Britt circles for NAVHDA...seems to be more focused on the DC. Doubt there would be a whole lot of interest if you were successful.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am

There is a Britt in my local NAVHDA that swims like a motor boat. I would not want to break ice with her, she is small even for a britt. Also I am not sure how a 30lb dog retrieves a 20lb goose but I am pretty sure we are going to see some picture of britts with mouths full of geese.

So I say yes, with qualifications

As for other V-Dogs My LM realized the other day that there were lots of duck and geese in the water so even though it was 2-3c and there is still ice along the bank it took some convincing to get him out of the water, one of his favorite games is chase the duck.

Muygrande

Post by Muygrande » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 am

There are a handful of britt owners that are really serious Navhda folks.

http://www.whoa-boys.com/catura/PAGEI.htm

My dogs back int he 80s would have made excellent Navhda dogs. We always used them for duck hunting, generally after age 3 or 4 they would calm down enough to stay still in a duck boat.

My current trial-bred britts have a little more go and less retrieve and they like water but don't love it. I agree there could be a lot more if the britt people focused on it.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Brent and Ruth Catura have fine Britts who do well at NAVHDA and are great in the water. We have two pups from Catura's Drumming Woods kennel and they are great dogs. Our older dog was a daughter of VC Andy's I'm a Lil Rusty and VC Birdsprings Rozlynn, from NY state. She was a truly great dog. Her first waterfowl retrieve was a snow goose and she was about a year old. Duck search that would make your jaw drop, and great in the field. A real thinking dog who loved to work and was a little dear in the house. She was a UT prize 1 twice, 204, 201. She came from great genetics, and was so easy to train. Lucky us, to have known her. Britts are great in the water if you give them exposure and the chance to learn.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 pm

+1 about Brents dogs. We have trained with a Frenchie (Cooper)from NA through his VC and is a outstanding Britt. There are a couple of Frenchie VC's in the Penn. Area.