dry kibble

diplomat019

dry kibble

Post by diplomat019 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 am

do those of you who feed dry kibble switch it up through the year? for example a high energy kibble during hunting season and a regular one during the off season? or do you keep it the same all year? thanks

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: dry kibble

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:43 am

keep it the same, feed less........................Cj

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:28 am

I feed 2 different kinds of kibble depending on dog needs (we have 6 dogs...2 get a performance feed, 4 get an active adult feed). I constantly adjust quantities based on body condition.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:57 am

I feed the same ration year 'round. It is a 30/20 Performance blend.

My guys are all on self feeders, so they pretty much adjust themselves as needed.

I do note that they eat less in the warmer weather.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

I jump around quite a bit. You can go in and change my guy's food with out mixing half and half. Stool stays firm!

deke

Post by deke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am

cjhills wrote:keep it the same, feed less........................Cj

I can be feeding my pup anywhere from 4 cups a day during the non hunting / training parts of the year, then during hunting season when we hunt a few times a week he gets closer to 7 cups, and when we go on a ten day trip to SD he is eating 12 or more cups plus a few cheeseburgers a day. I just watch his appearance and try to keep him the same size all year, adjusting his food constantly.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:52 am

deke wrote:

I can be feeding my pup anywhere from 4 cups a day during the non hunting / training parts of the year, then during hunting season when we hunt a few times a week he gets closer to 7 cups, and when we go on a ten day trip to SD he is eating 12 or more cups plus a few cheeseburgers a day. I just watch his appearance and try to keep him the same size all year, adjusting his food constantly.
What in the world are you feeding? most dogs would get 2 to 3 cups of a good food a day and maybe up to 4 to 5 when working HARD. I am surprised a dog could even eat 12 cups a day of anything.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:08 am

deke wrote:

Wow, that is some serious dog food. How big is the dog? Cj

deke

Post by deke » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:48 pm

cjhills wrote:
deke wrote:

Wow, that is some serious dog food. How big is the dog? Cj
ezzy333 wrote:
deke wrote:

What in the world are you feeding? most dogs would get 2 to 3 cups of a good food a day and maybe up to 4 to 5 when working HARD. I am surprised a dog could even eat 12 cups a day of anything.

He is a 62 lb three year old lab. Tall and skinny. We feed him Kirkland brand performance dog food ( only stuff we can find that doesn't mess with his stomach). My older lab weighs in at a hefty 110 and he eats 2 cups of the same dog food per day. He has been like this since he was about a year old, if I cut his food down to far he gets really lethargic and way to skinny. He is the black lab in my avatar, the picture was taken when he was just under a year old around 55 lbs I would guess, yellow one weighs about 85 in that picture.

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:26 am

If it's a big dog do not feed it all at once. feed more than once a day. I learned the hard way. feeding several times a day goes a long way towards preventing bloat.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Same all year, just feed amount according to body condition.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re:

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Same all year, just feed amount according to body condition.
Same here.

Charlie

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:41 am

I used to feed the same food, just different amount, and that always worked. But I have come to realize that whether or not that works depends on how much you run your dog. I had always hunted maybe 30+ days/year but due to a life change a couple of years ago I now hunt about 100 days/year. We didn't like how thin the dogs were and were concerned with them having to eat several cups of food at a time: since they were hunting nearly every day I couldn't feed them twice a day (I won't feed before hunting). We researched the calories per cup of different foods and switched to what we felt gave good quality but also high calorie food during the season and it did the trick. Not long after the season ended we had to switch to a lower calorie food because the dogs started to look heavier than we like. So I guess it's the same for dogs as for us: calories count.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:25 am

My dogs are in the field well over 100 days a year and one feed adjusted works fine for mine 3 years to 12 years old.