Electric Clippers

cpinkert

Electric Clippers

Post by cpinkert » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 am

Good morning,

I have a Brittany who I clip twice a year. Her coat is fairly soft. I'm looking for reasonably priced (preferably under $100) clippers that will last for a number of years with proper maintenance. Anyone have recommendations for specific makes/models they've used that would work for me?

Thanks!

Chris

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Electric Clippers

Post by shags » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am

Look at Oster, Andis, or Wahl clippers. Get a decent set and you will have them for years if you take care of them. The cheapies from the hairdo department at Walmart won't last.

I have some Osters that I bought in the 70s and they're still going strong. You can find single speed A5s for around $125 online. Replacement blades are around $20-25 and I buy a set every couple years. I clip 5 dogs several times a year, and do a little prettying up on the horses.

Clip your dog when he's freshly bathed and dry. Dirty dog hair kills blades.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:39 am

Thoughts on the Oster Fast Feed model for dog hair? I had a guy recommend it, but it looks like they're made for human hair. My britt has a fairly soft/fine coat so I'm thinking they might work but I want to make sure I get something that will get the job done.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 pm

I would go with clippers meant for dog grooming. Soft fine hair isn't always easy to cut through. People hair isn't like dog hair. You can use dog clippers on people, but might burn up a motor doing dogs with people clippers.

Spend the little bit extra now and avoid buying replacements over the years. It's cheaper in the long run. Not to mention less frustrating....do you really want your dog running around with half its hair clipped because your cheapies pooped out partway through the job :lol: :lol:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:03 pm

shags wrote:Dirty dog hair kills blades.
This is KEY - shave a clean dog or you will pay in the long run.
Here is what I have and love them...http://www.amazon.com/Oster-2-Speed-Pro ... B000LRN31A You will need blades. I use the #10
2013-05-16_Guy 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

I think Gertie got the Andis and is having good luck with them. I've got the A5 Oster and suspect it will out last me. Think they were about $150

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I got a Wahl Stable Pro about ten years ago. I use it to clip the manes(bridle path and base where the blanket sits) and fetlocks on my horses. About every other year I shave down both horses because I am going to a trial in the spring when their winter coats are shedding. I hate having hair everywhere when I am trying to handle a dog.

If these clippers will stand up to two horses for ten years, you should be able to get at least a lifetime using them on one or two dogs. What I love about them is that the blades adjust from 30-20-10 with the push of a lever.

State Line Tack has a sale on right now...75 bucks out the door.

I did buy the wide blade for the horses. it is an extra 25 bucks or so.

+1 also on dirt being the enemy of sharp clipper blades.

RayG

Ike

Post by Ike » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:11 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I got a Wahl Stable Pro about ten years ago. I use it to clip the manes(bridle path and base where the blanket sits) and fetlocks on my horses. About every other year I shave down both horses because I am going to a trial in the spring when their winter coats are shedding. I hate having hair everywhere when I am trying to handle a dog.

If these clippers will stand up to two horses for ten years, you should be able to get at least a lifetime using them on one or two dogs. What I love about them is that the blades adjust from 30-20-10.

RayG
I second the Whal Stable Pro. Had some for a long time. Use 'em on horses, dogs and even me! :D

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 am

Just got a set of these, amazing how much better they work than the wally world dog shears. I am very impressed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=26697