Where do I go to find Texas hunting lease?

Sterndog

Where do I go to find Texas hunting lease?

Post by Sterndog » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 am

I just moved to Fort Worth and I am looking for hunting leases. Willing to lease individual pieces for dove, duck, quail and deer or ideally find it all in one. Does anyone know where I should look to find one or do you know any available leases?

magspa

Re: Where do I go to find Texas hunting lease?

Post by magspa » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:04 am

Good luck. I have been here 2.5 years now and quail leases are tough to find. They seem to be more expensive because you need a lot of land to hold enough covies compared to big game. First year here I got on a deer/nilgai lease. Didnt see many deer or Nilgai. But they let me quail hunt last 6 weeks once spike and doe came in cause they didnt want these animals being harvested. It was only 150acres and we got a few good hunts in. I had my son the next year so havent leased again, yet. another problem is most guys dont want people bird hunting while their deer hunting. leasehunter.com and craigslist always have some. texashuntingforum too, they have a lease section. I managed to find a few spots with birds just by meeting people and asking around. One can usually find decent duck hunting on public property. I live in the Rio Grande Valley but am from Western PA.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Texas!

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:08 am

Leasing for deer hunting drives almost everything in Texas....in fact leasing strictly for quail hunting has become so expensive that with the recent quail crops it has been virtually prohibitive. Texas is a big state so I will not say it is impossible, but it is not probable that you are going to find a place that provides all the game you list. If you are most interested in ducks, you can find that combination with deer, but less likely with quail and dove.

You can find deer, quail and hogs in the rolling plains starting about 75-100 miles west of where you live going all the way to West and South Texas. Dove you are probably better off getting on a stand alone basis although it overlaps a lot of the same country. The difference is it doesn't take near as big a place for dove hunting.