basic obedience programs

BigJake

basic obedience programs

Post by BigJake » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am

I like the perfect start/finish and hunt Smith dvd's for setting up a platform for gundog training, but I feel that they offer very little for the basic obedience training. The first training a new puppy will see when I get it is puppy kindergarten. I like this for the socialization of a young pup more than anything. I notice that the trainers have different techniques for teaching this class, some like to use a treat based system, some work with all praise, and then I have heard about the clicker training but have never tried it. Do any of you have a program you like to use for your basic obedience, have any of you tried clicker training, if so what are your thoughts.

kcbullets

Re: basic obedience programs

Post by kcbullets » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 am

I like using the click and treat method at 6-16 weeks for basic commands. I use "come", "sit",and "kennel". I think it helps spark the learning process as you progress throughout the rest of the training. An obedient dog is a happy owner. There are plenty of resources on the web on clicker training. I am not one that believes this helps transition anything to the field. Thats where CC's and e-collars come in to the picture as the pup matures and knows the commands.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 pm

I agree with a group kindergarten class for 4 to 6 weeks to teach the basics. Then you can step up the basics to using a check cord for distance work. As an obedience instructor for 30 years I have taught many many puppy classes and you have to find what motivates the pup the most, Food, Praise, Toys, Clicker. I have used it all over the years.Not all pups are the same. You have to find what works best for your pup. Doesn't really matter what breed you have or sport you want to use your dog for, the basics of obedience and house manners are the most important starting point. Keep your training Fun, Firm, and Fair.

pudelpter

Post by pudelpter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm

I like the Hickox video for clicker and basics. I did that for the first few months and it worked great.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Short check cord and a little reminder who's boss every now and then.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

BigJake wrote:I like the perfect start/finish and hunt Smith dvd's for setting up a platform for gundog training, but I feel that they offer very little for the basic obedience training. The first training a new puppy will see when I get it is puppy kindergarten. I like this for the socialization of a young pup more than anything. I notice that the trainers have different techniques for teaching this class, some like to use a treat based system, some work with all praise, and then I have heard about the clicker training but have never tried it. Do any of you have a program you like to use for your basic obedience, have any of you tried clicker training, if so what are your thoughts.
I use it in the house for obedience with all pups.(Dogs live in the house.) I have not found it to be useful in the field ; by that time I have switched to an e collar.