Hunting grouse with flushers

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey guys, does anybody hunt grouse with flushers? I have been mulling over the breed of my next hunting partner, and the problem is I have been doing a lot more grouse hunting. Usually walking them up, or occasionally with a friends dog, since my old hunting partner is chasing ducks around the big pond in the sky, and was wondering who else hunts grouse with a flushing breed? How does it work for you, what's the positives and negatives? Do you ever wish you had a pointing breed? Thanks guys!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting grouse with flushers

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Springers work great if you keep them close...........................Cj

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

I primarily hunt behind pointers but Having hunted behind flushers I have found this. Early season the dog flush the birds flush I thick cover just a tad too far even though the dog is wicked close. Later the cover is open and the birds are scattered, more prone to wild flushes. Hard to get a critical idea where the bird will come up when the dog is birdy, time is of the essence in the grouse woods. Although if you push a covert and have posters, they will get the bulk of the shooting, especially if uou know the birds escape route. If you follow the flusher I believe you will be disappointed.

smittty

Post by smittty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:07 pm

just the wrong tool for the job in my opinion.. just like I would never put one of my setters in a duck blind

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Minneguy wrote:Hey guys, does anybody hunt grouse with flushers? I have been mulling over the breed of my next hunting partner, and the problem is I have been doing a lot more grouse hunting. Usually walking them up, or occasionally with a friends dog, since my old hunting partner is chasing ducks around the big pond in the sky, and was wondering who else hunts grouse with a flushing breed? How does it work for you, what's the positives and negatives? Do you ever wish you had a pointing breed? Thanks guys!
No, because I have two. :) If you are going to use a flusher for birds , you'd better be a darn good shot. Little warning provided. A good pointing breed gives a chance to set up for a good shot. You can teach your pointing breed to flush when you are ready to shoot.
A pointing breed needs lots of experience on wild skittish birds before it learns to not crowd the bird at all. It takes time.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm

I prefer hunting behind pointing dogs rather than flushers, but I grew up with retrievers and hunted them with good results on grouse and woodcock. I currently hunt my lab with my english setter and a better combination I can't imagine. A good flusher often lets you know when it's on a bird and mine would often wait to go in for the flush until let her know I was ready. In my lab's prime she was a "bleep" good grouse dog, and all of the retrievers we had growing up were pretty good as well.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

For me, it is more about the dog work than how many birds I can put in the bag. That being said, I still want to shoot some birds but do it with the dogs I enjoy the most, which for me is pointing dogs. In other words, I would use the type of dog I enjoy the most. :wink:

Charlie

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I hunt behind pointers but have also had a Lab/GWP mix (Whoops)that I had trained to WHOA on command. I tried for hours and hours to bring out the pointer in her but, no dice. As soon as she got birdy, I would command WHOA, and she wanted to please so badly that she would do so. When I got ready, mostly in the Pheasant fields, I would command, Get the bird. I may train this GWP to flush on command, I usually hunt alone and it is usually quite brushy where I find the birds. Prime popple slashings are hard to find here, mostly hard Maple.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Hey guys, does anybody hunt grouse with flushers?
What type of Grouse?

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. It seems doable, albeit there will be a lot more missed birds and crapped pants from flushes lol. This makes my decision so much harder, because I love grouse, but I love duck and goose as much as I love grouse.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Quill, mostly rough with the occasional spruce. And I've been seeing woodcock already this year in good numbers! I'm pped for hunting season already now lol

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:48 pm

See, now If there were some pheasants around here, I'd just get the lab and be done. But the grouse are throwing me off!!!

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:23 am

Hunted grouse for years with Springer spaniels, great dog for the grouse woods, and also a very serviceable duck dog. You have plenty of warning before the flush if you know how to read your dog. As I got older I started hunting with a pointer, and I loved it. The main difference is on running grouse, put your track shoes on with the Springer if you want to get a shot, a good grouse pointing dog will learn to cut most runners off. With that being said, I do miss my springers and see myself getting another down the road.

Becassier

Post by Becassier » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:16 am

Personally I hunt with pointers, I know a lot of people that have very well trained cockers and springers. Find the breeder you like go from there, also you may have a group that holds "hunt tests" go watch and talk to them. Confirm that the breeder hunts and you'll be in good shape. thought you would enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgotLf7axmY

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 am

Supposedly, the Ruffed Grouse of the east is a different species as here in the west when considering IQ (smart's). I dunno but here in the west the flushing Labrador is a fine choice for getting the job done when hunting forest grouse.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:00 am

BigJake wrote:Hunted grouse for years with Springer spaniels, great dog for the grouse woods, and also a very serviceable duck dog. You have plenty of warning before the flush if you know how to read your dog. As I got older I started hunting with a pointer, and I loved it. The main difference is on running grouse, put your track shoes on with the Springer if you want to get a shot, a good grouse pointing dog will learn to cut most runners off. With that being said, I do miss my springers and see myself getting another down the road.
Trade in those track shoes for a "stop" whistle and you will set yourself up for some better shots. Running with a loaded gun is a bad idea.

Mike

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 am

If you hunt upland, and do some waterfowl hunting as well, maybe try a American Water Spaniel. They excel in the water and uplands, I use mine for Grouse Woodcock and Pheasant. And do alot of duck hunting. They are not near as hard to keep close as a Springer.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I have an english cocker and he's a grouse machine! Wouldn't trade him for anything

uplandnut

Post by uplandnut » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:31 am

I've seen both styles be successful, I would see if you could hunt behind both styles, flushers and pointers, even if it means you hire a guide to see both styles. I'm not a guide but I would be happy to show you my pointers.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Minneguy wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. It seems doable, albeit there will be a lot more missed birds and crapped pants from flushes lol. This makes my decision so much harder, because I love grouse, but I love duck and goose as much as I love grouse.
Solution: two dogs :-)

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I have an english cocker and he's a grouse machine! Wouldn't trade him for anything

Man, I freakin love those English cockers! One day I will have one, no doubt about it. Such a fun personality on all the ones I've met!

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm

uplandnut wrote:I've seen both styles be successful, I would see if you could hunt behind both styles, flushers and pointers, even if it means you hire a guide to see both styles. I'm not a guide but I would be happy to show you my pointers.
Thanks uplandnut, thats really nice of you! Where are you located? See, this is why sportsman are the best.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Sharon wrote:
Minneguy wrote:Thanks for the responses guys. It seems doable, albeit there will be a lot more missed birds and crapped pants from flushes lol. This makes my decision so much harder, because I love grouse, but I love duck and goose as much as I love grouse.
Solution: two dogs :-)
Unfortunately, that may be the answer down the road, but for now I can only have 1 more. I already have an Aussie, and he is incredible but I don't have enough money or space to have 3 dogs.