Blank Gun

RichK

Blank Gun

Post by RichK » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:21 pm

I need a blank gun to use for AKC hunt tests, can anyone recommend a good quality gun that will last?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Blank Gun

Post by nikegundog » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 pm

GunX if you can find one.
http://www.gunxusa.com/

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:05 am

nikegundog wrote:GunX if you can find one.
http://www.gunxusa.com/
I agree with this. Spend the money and get a good quality one such as the gun x, you should never have a problem.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:30 am

The Gun-X is definitely the top gun out there. However, I've titled out and trained my dogs for the past 5 plus years with an
inexpensive Lion Country pistol. Still works just fine. I believe they call it the LCS Champ model.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:The Gun-X is definitely the top gun out there. However, I've titled out and trained my dogs for the past 5 plus years with an
inexpensive Lion Country pistol. Still works just fine. I believe they call it the LCS Champ model.
Thanks. Will the .22lr model work for everything?

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:33 pm

RichK, it has always been sufficient for the hunt tests, AKC field trials and etc I have entered.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:06 pm

RichK -

If you do get the better LCS 22 blank pistol, you may be able to use #2 ramset loads in it. Don't go higher(more powerful)... no need. If you find a used NEF or H&R blank pistol, you absolutely can use the ramset power loads in them.

I can usually get # 2 Ramset loads for about 5 bucks for a hundred at Lowe's. Ain't bought any in a while, so it might be 6 by now.

22's of any kind, including blanks are a real PIA to get anymore, so it is nice to be able to use those readily available ramset loads.

According to AKC the only 22 crimp load that is not acceptable for all trials(and I would assume all tests as well) is the little acorn type crimp. You might be able to use those little acorns in Junior hunter...don't know.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 pm

I have bought many blank pistols and all were basic junk except Gunx. 209 primers are the only way to go...............Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

cjhills wrote:I have bought many blank pistols and all were basic junk except Gunx. 209 primers are the only way to go...............Cj
That is true, but that assumes you can actually find 209 primers, especially CCI 209's. Nowadays, I can't. They have gotten real scarce.

A 209 is pretty loud and not necessary for AKC. I understand that the 209's from GunX are currently unavailable also. Something about the unavailability of frames for the guns.

I broke out my first three bird dogs with the same $20 blank gun. Yeah it was a piece of junk, but it made it through three dogs over about a six year span... before it broke.

If the OP could find a used H & R or NEF in 22 caliber, it would last them a lifetime or two.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 am

RayGubernat wrote:
cjhills wrote:I have bought many blank pistols and all were basic junk except Gunx. 209 primers are the only way to go...............Cj
That is true, but that assumes you can actually find 209 primers, especially CCI 209's. Nowadays, I can't. They have gotten real scarce.

A 209 is pretty loud and not necessary for AKC. I understand that the 209's from GunX are currently unavailable also. Something about the unavailability of frames for the guns.

I broke out my first three bird dogs with the same $20 blank gun. Yeah it was a piece of junk, but it made it through three dogs over about a six year span... before it broke.

If the OP could find a used H & R or NEF in 22 caliber, it would last them a lifetime or two.

RayG
I have never had a issue with finding primers. I use Winchester primers all the time. I have no idea why they say they are incompatible with the gunx. I run a lot of rounds through my blank guns. One of the worst things for me is having a blank gun malfunction in a test. you need good equipment which will function correctly every time. There are enough ways to fail.......................Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 am

cjhills wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:

RayG
I have never had a issue with finding primers. I use Winchester primers all the time. I have no idea why they say they are incompatible with the gunx. I run a lot of rounds through my blank guns. One of the worst things for me is having a blank gun malfunction in a test. you need good equipment which will function correctly every time. There are enough ways to fail.......................Cj
Winchester primers are indeed available...but they suck. Have for many years.

The copper anvil on the Winchester primers is much softer than the corresponding CCI anvil. If the hammer strikes the softer primer too hard it will rupture, jamming the gun. Primers like Cheddite are somewhat flatter than CCI or Winchester, resulting in lighter hits and occasional misfires.

The GunX was apparently designed around and optimized for the CCI primer. Otherwise why would they recommend using themin their pistols?

Seems to me that anytime anyone has had a problem with their blank pistol at a trial, there was always someone else nearby with one who was happy to fire the obligatory salute. I suspect the same would hold for hunt tests.

Personally, there are lots more things that can screw up a performance for me, waaaay worse than a misfire. Worst case scenario...clap your hands.

Bottom line...an inexpensive blank pistol can get the job done in the very same way that a Mossberg slide action or an H & R single shot will kill a bird just as dead as a Purdey or a Parker.

RayG

RayG

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 am

I have had every kind of cheap 209 pistol out there. Traditions, Olympic, cheap .22's. They all failed eventually. The .22 and Olympic pretty much from the start off and on, then too much to want to use. The Traditions lasted the longest before misfired. I've had a Gun X for 2 years and no problems. I've used Remington and CCI primers. I've read not to use Winchester, but never heard of anything that was recommended. I got my gun from Snow Canyon Outfitters. Kent works closely with Gun X as he makes very nice holsters for the guns featured on their website.

I also have a NEF .32 that is 12 years old that has rust all over it and it has NEVER failed. I think the Gun X is of the same quality or better and it is away lighter.

Doug

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 am

I have an NEF I bought over 20yrs ago. Hasn't been used a lot the past maybe 10yrs but still like brand new. I don't know where you could find a H&R now. The NEF is the H&R, it replaced H&R when they went to New England Firearms.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:16 pm

How much louder is a 209 blank gun compared to a 22 blank gun with the non acorn style blanks?

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:27 pm

I went through a couple cheaper 22 blank pistols, both failing within a few hundred rounds. I went to buy a gunx 209 but found them unavailable. So I decided to go with the Alfa from gundog supply. I am very impressed and very happy, a little heavy, but built like a real gun, orange handle, performs smoothly and flawlessly. Lifetime warranty. I think its as good as anything and better then most on the market.

RichK

Post by RichK » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 am

orbirdhunter wrote:I went through a couple cheaper 22 blank pistols, both failing within a few hundred rounds. I went to buy a gunx 209 but found them unavailable. So I decided to go with the Alfa from gundog supply. I am very impressed and very happy, a little heavy, but built like a real gun, orange handle, performs smoothly and flawlessly. Lifetime warranty. I think its as good as anything and better then most on the market.
I bought the LCS Champ 22 pistol and it worked, but the rotating cylinder caused me 3-4 misfires the first day. I think I will keep it as a back up and get one of the Alfa pistols.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 am

I doubt you will be buying any Gun X pistols anytime soon. I have my old NEF pistol that works great. You need to use flatter primers with it but it works great. I do wish I had bought a Gun X when they were making them.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu May 01, 2014 10:55 am

Rick if you haven't bought a Blank gun yet there is a GunX 209 primer 4 sale below.You will be ahead buying one if you can then most the others.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 am

The Alfa has a lifetime warranty backed by a gunsmith that I have known for years. It is built like a real gun and backed by the best.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm

One for sale in the for sale section of this board.
The Alfa is the one i would buy if i could not get a Gun X.
I have repaired a couple of different brands, no comparison to the quality of the NEF or the Gun X.
Gun X is the only one made in the USA. i tried calling but no answer.
Primers should not be an issue anymore, Remington or CCI should be readily available. i have used winchester by accident and had no problems but would stick with the others.
You can always keep searching, someone will almost always loan you a blank at the hunt tests, just bring your own primers.

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 pm

I'm going to pick up an Alfa next week.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu May 01, 2014 1:01 pm

I have shot 5 boxes of Winchester primers thru mine never had a problem & my handler who probably shoots 10 times more then I do,that's all he use to shoot.I ask him if he ever had a problem & he said no & didn't know there was any concern of a problem.I'm not sure what primers he is now using.If you handle both you will see the difference one is made of steel the other??

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 pm