GSP stalking like a cat?

GSPdog1

GSP stalking like a cat?

Post by GSPdog1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Hello,
I'm training my first GSP and now notice she will crouch down like a cat and walk really slow when we approach an area on our daily walk where birds are always present. Typically, my 11 month old GSP will point then chase the birds. Now she won't chase birds in this area but just crouch and walk by. She hasn't been formally introduced to birds as I've been working primarily on obedience, which is going well. Her bird training will begin with a professional in June. So, my question is, what is going on with the crouch and stalk maneuver? Does this mean she understands she can't catch the birds if she runs after them? I mean she still chases when she's off leash at other locations, but not at this one spot. Really strange behavior and she looks so odd acting like a cat. Can someone with more GSP experience offer any thoughts?

Thank you.

KwikIrish

Re: GSP stalking like a cat?

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 pm

First, I would stop planting birds in the same spots over and then over.
Second, I would get some launchers. Once that puppy establishes point, launch the bird the second the dog makes any kind of move. This will teach the dog that any kind of forward progress will cause the bird to flush.
Enjoy!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Shorthairs are known for their "cat crouch" posture on point. Not all do it and they don't do it all the time, but it is characteristic of the breed.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:06 pm

GSPdog1 wrote:Hello,
I'm training my first GSP and now notice she will crouch down like a cat and walk really slow when we approach an area on our daily walk where birds are always present. Typically, my 11 month old GSP will point then chase the birds. Now she won't chase birds in this area but just crouch and walk by. She hasn't been formally introduced to birds as I've been working primarily on obedience, which is going well. Her bird training will begin with a professional in June. So, my question is, what is going on with the crouch and stalk maneuver? Does this mean she understands she can't catch the birds if she runs after them? I mean she still chases when she's off leash at other locations, but not at this one spot. Really strange behavior and she looks so odd acting like a cat. Can someone with more GSP experience offer any thoughts?

Thank you.
I think she is learning that she can't catch the birds so is creeping /crouching. Not a bad thing to me. A point follows a creep usually.
As you have formal training with a pro planned in 6 weeks , leave the bird intro. to him. I'd say little and just let the dog do its thing.

(Welcome to the forum.)

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:15 am

Sounds completely normal to me

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 am

a bit sticky. She's sure they are there because they are always there. Being careful not to bump them. i run Squirt and body here at home and they hit the field and do the same thing, to much in the same small field. Take them out on a local ranch and the turn into fire balls!

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:20 pm

My Lily will do that as she approaches neighborhood ditches looking for ganules. She'll sneek in while in a crouch and then peek down into the ditch. If she finds one she'll point it until I call her off at a heel. To me, it seems somewhat of a game to her as she doesn't act the same in the field on birds.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm

My V dog has done it when tracking a runner....I always thought it was really cool!