weim/lab mix

magspa

weim/lab mix

Post by magspa » Sun May 04, 2014 12:12 pm

My wife has been asking for a new dog. Her friend fosters dogs and happens to have 2 weim/lab from a litter of 11 the original owner could not sell. they are 6months old. If it were up to me i would be getting another GSP with proven pedigree but this seems like a win-win. She gets a dog and I might a get another hunting buddy out f the deal if he is somewhat birdie. I have a 2.5 y/o spayed GSP that is a good quail dog, steady stylish but not a good retriever (which we are working on). She brought both over yesterday day for a few hours. I told her we can get the male - i had a bumper and he held it real nice and walk around proudly. While they were here, my GSP was all over that bumper haha, i really think some competition will help her retrieving. I grew up with a Vizsla and have owned 2 GSPs from good pedigrees that were natural hunters. Not sure what to expect here. I would to train him as a close working dog and have flush and retrieve quail and also for duck. Any of yal have success with mixes like this? I included a pic of him and the sister. I am trying ti get the contact info for original owners to make sure they are weim/lab, but they definitely look like they are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: weim/lab mix

Post by Sharon » Sun May 04, 2014 2:38 pm

The purchase of any dog involves some risks. Nothing is a sure thing. ( A 5 generation pedigree + health clearances definately reduces the risk), Add in the fact that these are rescues who need a home and ...........I'd probably go for it. Then again I have a soft heart that occasionally over- rules my head. :)

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:41 pm

It is important to note that a high proportion of BOTH breeds are pet-bred dogs that will never turn into adequate hunting dogs. Look how much effort smart hunting or trial dog guys put into getting a sound dog that is bred to do what we want. Sure, we all know of crossbreds or even mutts that do OK in the field. That's due to either (or a combination of) a massive time investment by the owner or plain dumb luck.

Take your wife to see a litter of cute field Springers or English Cockers (or young adults) if you want a flushing dog.

Maybe you'll get lucky. But your odds of getting a good-working dog (or a non-dysplastic one) from a cross of petbred animals are not high. On the other hand, if you'll settle for a high-energy pet that takes up the space and time a hunting dog might fill, fine. But there are plenty of quality loving genetically-healthy hunting dogs that need a home, too.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 am

I say go for it. I have owned mostly cross breeds. All have been retriever X some sort of pointer. All good hunting dogs, most were great. They all were water loving with good coats for retrieving in northern winter conditions. Health problems were minimal and they all lived over 10 years. Most pointed long enough for me to get up and flush and I didn't lose many cripples with them. All but one was a good family dog and once I remarried she accepted my new wife and kids after awhile.(Chessie X GWP) While they were never field trial dogs they were great meat dogs that stayed in range and worked brush and open field alike. I couldn't ask for better hunting companions. My first one was a Chessie X Weim named Fawn. She pointed and was a great retriever. I hunted all of the species of upland birds Idaho had and waterfowl too. She lived to the age of 12 and hunted right to the end. She had a mistake litter with a Lab and I kept one of the pups. Ace was a great pheasant and waterfowl dog and retrieved his first dove at age 4 months. He also worked well on valley quail and forest grouse but he didn't point.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Wed May 07, 2014 6:24 am

Look it's silver labs. Sorry just had to.

magspa

Post by magspa » Wed May 07, 2014 3:38 pm

I understand the downsides if it and the probability of them but going to give him a home and hopefully he has some hunt in him. Can't tell the wife no after she met him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Enjoy your dog and let us know how it goes.

(If it doesn't work out your wife can look after him/her and you can get another dog.:) )