Tapeworms In Pup

JoshHaker

Tapeworms In Pup

Post by JoshHaker » Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 am

I have a pointer pup that is a little less 4.5 months old 24lb. and has what I believe to be tapeworms. (white worms about a 1/2 inch long, flat on the outside edge of stool. Almost shaped like rice. Usually one rarely two on the outside of stool. Maybe once a day.) I have been giving him panacur paste once a month and it is seemingly not killing them. I have read that praziquantel is what is needed to kill them. I assume they came from fleas.

Here is the question( assuming they are tapeworms) I have been giving my adult 50lb. Shorthair zimectrin gold (ivermectin 1.55% / praziquantel 7.75%) paste once a month 2.5 clicks. I have heard not to give this to my pup. A friend has killed a couple of dogs and a horse using ivermectin (caused massive kill of worms , and an ensuing impaction). What treatment should I use?

Birddog 307

Re: Tapeworms In Pup

Post by Birddog 307 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am

I had one of our dogs eat a rabbit and get tape worms. Our vet prescribed Drontal Plus. It was a one pill deal and took care of it right away. You will need to check with your vet on the milligram pill needed as per weight of your pup . Panacur will not kill them.
Birddog 307

tidalwavetom12

Post by tidalwavetom12 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am

here is the product we use with great success. Tape worm tabs are safe for four week old pups and up you can get them from most pet suppliers here is a link to the product from jeffers pet supply.
http://www.jefferspet.com/tape-worm-tab ... s/p/A2-T1/

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 am

Aren't there any vet's in Florida? Your not even sure what type it is. I have never seen a tape worm that looks like what you described. Everyone I've seen has been white and looks like a flat noodle. All I have even used to get rid of them has been Droncit and it came from my vet! One pill and all gone. Don't be risking your puppy by putting something in nit to kill a worm your not even sure what it is. That stuff is designed to kill!!! GO TO YOUR VET!!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue May 06, 2014 1:35 pm

If you do the math on the Zimecterin Gold, you 'll find that in order to deliver enough praziquantal to take care of the tapes, you'd be way overdosing on the ivermectin. I wouldn't risk that much of an excess of ivermectin.

I use Fish Tape tabs from Thomas Labs. You can find distributors online. I get the 170 mg tabs and half them for our little dog and pups; the big dogs get a whole tab (setters 50# more or less). I can't remember, but it seems to me like they were less expensive than other praziquantal products available.

You might want to check with your vet about your worming schedule. Per my vet, you need to interrupt the worms' life cycle in order to do away with them. So dose 10-14 days apart. That way the first dose kills off the adult worms ( larva not affected) and the second dose kills the young worms before they are mature enough to lay eggs and make more larvae. Monthly dosing can kill adults but leave eggs/larvae to grow, so it's a never ending battle. Light infestations might be different from heavier parasite loads, and the various antihelmintics might work differently, your vet can guide you.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Thu May 29, 2014 12:13 am

Update. In case anyone runs into this, it was very easy to treat for the worms. I went to the local pet store and purchased tablets that contained prazinquatal. Treated my dogs with that and also treated for fleas (probable source). And it seems to have cleared them up. The treatment was very affordable. Around $12.

Thank you for all the help from those that posted above.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 am

Panacure administered 3 days in a row every 6 months has worked for me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 pm

DonF wrote:Aren't there any vet's in Florida? Your not even sure what type it is. I have never seen a tape worm that looks like what you described. Everyone I've seen has been white and looks like a flat noodle. All I have even used to get rid of them has been Droncit and it came from my vet! One pill and all gone. Don't be risking your puppy by putting something in nit to kill a worm your not even sure what it is. That stuff is designed to kill!!! GO TO YOUR VET!!!
X2

Take in a stool sample. Cheap! Before using any product you have to be sure what the worm is.

http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Different-Dog-Worms

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Ivermectin itself will not kill tapeworms. prazinquatal is the key ingredient that you need...I get just the regular Fish Tape and give a tab a day for 3 days if it is a bad case I will bump it up to five days.
Fleas are the culprit for tape worms so if I have a dog that gets into fleas specially by consuming the rotten rabbits I will bathe them in dawn dish soap dust with DE and then treat 3 days with Fish Tape
Panacur / Safeguard which both have the same ingredient won't cover tapeworms.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Ivermectin itself will not kill tapeworms. prazinquatal is the key ingredient that you need...I get just the regular Fish Tape and give a tab a day for 3 days if it is a bad case I will bump it up to five days.
Fleas are the culprit for tape worms so if I have a dog that gets into fleas specially by consuming the rotten rabbits I will bathe them in dawn dish soap dust with DE and then treat 3 days with Fish Tape
Panacur / Safeguard which both have the same ingredient won't cover tapeworms.
That has not been my experience. I haven't had many cases of Tapes but Safeguard took care of the problem.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri May 30, 2014 6:01 pm

Dogs commonly get two species of tapeworms. Dipylidium comes from ingesting fleas and taenia comes from eating rodent or rabbit flesh/innards. Fenbendazole ( Safeguard, Panacur) is effective against Taenia but won't touch Dpylidium. Praziquantal ( FishTape, Droncit, Drontal) will take care of both.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm

lets just say Not all types Tapeworm can or will be killed with safeguard and I can vouch for that (unfortunately)