Has anybody ever hunted, owned, worked a Belgian Mal?

kibafang90

Has anybody ever hunted, owned, worked a Belgian Mal?

Post by kibafang90 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Anybody on forum ever hunted or worked with a Mal/dutch?
Opinions about the breed as a hunting partner?

RichK

Re: Has anybody ever hunted, owned, worked a Belgian Mal?

Post by RichK » Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 pm

They're a dog I would have for protection, not for hunting.

Just as I wouldn't take a Porsche offroading, I wouldn't use a Malinois for hunting.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:20 pm

RichK wrote:They're a dog I would have for protection, not for hunting.

Just as I wouldn't take a Porsche offroading, I wouldn't use a Malinois for hunting.
:) Look, my weim does sports that are "owned" by herding breeds. She has even tried herding. I would say i have never seen a weimaraner do these things like this! But she does decent in whatever i have her do.
So i do try i keep my head open to new things.
I think MAYBE a user has worked with a MAL? Maybe owned one and gave a try? Even just a forum member owned a mal can give an opinion.
I do not hunt. Nor do i know about hunting. Not what to look into when considering a hunting dog. Not a clue. So i ask people with "an eye for hunting"

I think i MAY give hunting more interest in future! But the future for me holds just border collies and mals. NO more "Bird dogs".
So this is why i ask!

big swill

Post by big swill » Fri May 09, 2014 5:26 am

I've got one Mal and a Dutch shepherd right now and have trained MANY over the years. These are NOT hunting dogs, although I'm sure someone has some off the wall exception. They were originally bred to herd and still compete in herding competitions in Europe, and some in the US. They are primarily bred for and trained for protection sports and K9 work. Awesome breeds but not hunting dogs. I've dealt with these things for years and when I wanted a bird dog, I bought an English setter. There's a tool for every job. Get the tool for the job.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 09, 2014 6:08 am

If one looks for adapting a dog to any purpose then you are missing the wonder and beauty of genetics developed over time and could be placing the dog itself lower in importance than your desires.
Some would term that selfish or self-focused.

If you want to hunt squirrels then go with breeds developed and proven, same with rabbits or hogs or game birds.
In learning an avowed "new" interest incorporating dogs, proceed where success will be most easily gained for the dog...and, I reckon, you.
Branch out as your experience grows.....at present, you ask but do not listen or believe and that indicates agenda.
Your profound mistakes in generalizing about bird dogs and the lack of knowledge you apparently have of bird dog breeds or lines within breeds as to characteristics is akin to picking a screwdriver without looking at the screw.

Which, in reality, is of scant importance but it is always a shame when bad info and agenda gets spread about a public message board much as "cordwood about the town"....to quote a Phil Harris song.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 am

Kiba, I handled a Dutch shepherd for several years as a working K-9. He was an extremely high driven dog that excelled at narcotics detection and wasn't all bad at tracking either. He was very athletic and hardy and preferred going over or through something rather than around it. Although he was quite biddable and had a huge amount of prey drive, I would not have considered him for a hunting dog. He was bred to be a working dog. This dog and I had a great bond and I loved going to work with him every day. However, as others have suggested, if I was looking for a hunting dog, I would select a breed that was bred for the purpose. As I wouldn't consider a schnauzer for herding or a lab for protection, I would also not consider a malinois or Dutch shepherd for hunting. Just my two cents worth.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Mountaineer wrote:If one looks for adapting a dog to any purpose then you are missing the wonder and beauty of genetics developed over time and could be placing the dog itself lower in importance than your desires.
Harsh. I simply have many interests and goals, and room for one dog to stay. :| I am at loss.

Thank you all for the advice! Very understanding!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 16, 2014 2:21 pm

kibafang90 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:If one looks for adapting a dog to any purpose then you are missing the wonder and beauty of genetics developed over time and could be placing the dog itself lower in importance than your desires.
Harsh.
Honest.

However, I have read some birddog comments lately that may be termed "harsh"...along with incorrect.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 16, 2014 4:05 pm

I've never seen or even hear of one.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Fri May 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Hooker 004.jpg
Don this is Vanrussellhoff John Lee Hooker, Mr Hooker, Hooka Dooka or Dkhead
with the remains

........tasi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 16, 2014 9:16 pm

If you want the most versatile dog in performance, get a Jack Russell terrier.

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:19 pm

tasi devil wrote:
Hooker 004.jpg
Don this is Vanrussellhoff John Lee Hooker, Mr Hooker, Hooka Dooka or Dkhead
with the remains

........tasi
hahaha

you feed on the bed?

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:If you want the most versatile dog in performance, get a Jack Russell terrier.
Dont call me silly! Great breed!

Have a watch! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTN5kTkdvME