Looking for some advice with keeping Quail around dogs

Mumpy

Looking for some advice with keeping Quail around dogs

Post by Mumpy » Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 am

Hello everyone, I would like some advice on keeping Quail in close vicinity of a Bird Dog. So, here’s the back story. My friend recently purchased a 6 month old Draht and I purchased an 8 week old but I won’t be receiving him until two weeks from now. We are wanting to build a Quail Flight Pen on his Property which is 5 acres of land.

Now, with that said, will it affect his Draht that there is a Quail flight pen where the dog is let loose each morning to do a run-about?

With that question, I have another question… He currently has a Chicken Coop on his property with 40 Chickens that when the Draht is let loose each day he runs over to the Coop and runs around it chasing fenced up chickens for a few minutes before he finds better things to do.

Will THIS affect his Dog?

Thank you guys for your responses, I really really am glad I found this forum and looking forward to many many years discussing all things Bird hunting and Dog Training with you guys.

Grange

Re: Looking for some advice with keeping Quail around dogs

Post by Grange » Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 am

I've got a quail pen in my yard. My dogs will go and walk around the pen once or twice and then move on. They are used to it.

Donnytpburge

Re: Looking for some advice with keeping Quail around dogs

Post by Donnytpburge » Fri May 09, 2014 11:16 am

It might affect the quail.
The more times the pen raised birds are exposed
To the dog the less likely they will fly from the dog
In a training situation.

Db