Dog urine burning grass/bushes in yard

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon May 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Male lab is now over 2 years old and marks everything. We have several burn spots in our yard, around every tree, stump, and anything sticking out of the ground. Also have a few small bushes that are pretty brown, not sure if they'll make a comeback or not yet. From what I've read there's not a lot to do about this other than to water the spot right after they urinate to dilute the nitrogen they released into the ground. Or take them on a walk to pee on something else. Anybody have any weird trick or supplement or something that's worked to help with this before?

Thanks!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog urine burning grass/bushes in yard

Post by polmaise » Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 pm

Tripe

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon May 12, 2014 1:17 pm

polmaise wrote:Tripe
How the heck do you use it? Put it in with the food?

He's been eating Diamond Premium Adult for about 1.5 years now. Some stuff I've been reading says if they have too much....added stuff...... in the dog food their body will get rid of it as a waste/toxin/chemical because they don't need it and thats what burns. I run him a lot and he works fairly hard but maybe a premium food is more for a dog that works out a lot more than that?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Just Tripe! Don't knock it till you try it .

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 pm

polmaise wrote:Just Tripe! Don't knock it till you try it .
Not knocking it, just curious how you use it. How much, how often, where do you even get it at?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm

google it

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm

I don't see how tripe is going to reduce the amount of acid in dogs urine. I saw that it's good for their stomach so maybe it just cleans out all the acidity crap they get from the dog food.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Well you can't have everything in life. I gave up my back yard when I got 3 dogs. The trade -off is fine with me. :)

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon May 12, 2014 5:10 pm

sdsujacks,

If you google the subject "Dog urine burning grass" I know there are products to add to the food that helps this problem. Very common problem with males and females. Human urine too.
With some effort you can train your dog to pee (lift his leg) in one or two specific areas where you don't have grass and you can wash it down to keep the odor down. You will have to kennel then and take them out to that spot on leash. I would also teach them to pee/poop on command too. Great when you travel. So they learn to releave themself when you tell them.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon May 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Sharon wrote:Well you can't have everything in life. I gave up my back yard when I got 3 dogs. The trade -off is fine with me. :)
That's it and tripe or nothing else will fix it. You either have to accept it or keep the dog away from the areas of concern. Not trying to be negative, but as said, there are trade offs to owning a dog/dogs.

Charlie

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 pm

The only thing that helped me with my males was to have one of them pee on a stake and drive it in at a place that I didn't care about. None of the commercial products including Tripe did absolutely nothing.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Mon May 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Some plants and warm season grasses are more vulnerable to this problem than others. Other than chasing the dog around and diluting the nitrates in the with a garden hose, there is little that can be done.

Having had close ties to the landscape industry for over 20 years, if anyone out there truly has a solution, they will become very, very wealthy.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 12, 2014 6:47 pm

You can buy treats that make em pee less harshly or however u wanna say it. Good luck with a lab, they mark everything hahahaha.

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon May 12, 2014 9:17 pm

shiloh123 wrote:I've heard this stuff works: http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Revitalize- ... roduct_top
I don't always trust reviews but they are pretty mixed on that stuff.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue May 13, 2014 8:17 am

Sharon wrote:Well you can't have everything in life. I gave up my back yard when I got 3 dogs. The trade -off is fine with me. :)
I get that, I'm trying to make my fiance happy. The dog and I move in with her and now I have brown spots around all the trees and bushes. Unfortunately he is really starting to mark everything now, we live on a corner lot in an area that gets a lot of dog walkers. So as soon as I let him out of the kennel hes on a mission to mark the entire perimeter of the yard. I can turn the e-collar up and it doesn't even faze him, he's going to mark. It's not that big a deal to me that I will put him on a leash in my own yard to control where he pees, I get that its part of owning a dog and I'm fine with it but trying to please the other half as well. I can put a stake in the yard, which he'd pee on, but I swear he has 10 gallons of urine in him at all times, and he'd still mark all the other spots too.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue May 13, 2014 9:02 am

It's very simple........... any "yard" type area that a dog has access to, one needs to assume
that the area in question will be destroyed. Dog run with a concrete slab & fence.

Reclaim your backyard.

Rob

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 13, 2014 11:26 am

Yup, we have a dog yard, a bitch yard, and the front yard.

Unfortunately, we've staked the horses out on the front yard enough times that they've pretty much destroyed that too. Oh well...the things we do for our animals!

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 am

GrayDawg wrote:It's very simple........... any "yard" type area that a dog has access to, one needs to assume
that the area in question will be destroyed. Dog run with a concrete slab & fence.

Reclaim your backyard.

Rob
Have that, 10'x10', he spends all day and night in it but he WILL NOT poop/pee in it. Holds it no matter what or how long (unless he has the runs, then he poops in the far corner) And I love having him out in the yard running around when I'm home and outside or working in the garage, thats where the problem comes in.

RickB

Post by RickB » Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 pm

I did a bit of research on this. I spoke to the local master gardeners. They seemed to be of the opinion that the issue is not acid, but salt. They then gave me a list of plants that are at least moderately tolerant to salt. (For those of you from the south, salt resistant plants are needed because we put salt on the roads in the winter to melt the snow and ice. All that salt winds up in our soil and can poison intolerant plants. Those who live in coastal areas with sea salt spray also have to concern themselves with salt tolerant plants).

All that to say, we've switched to more salt tolerant landscaping plants and have had some success.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 13, 2014 2:03 pm

sdsujacks wrote:
I get that, I'm trying to make my fiance happy. The dog and I move in with her and now I have brown spots around all the trees and bushes. Unfortunately he is really starting to mark everything now, we live on a corner lot in an area that gets a lot of dog walkers. So as soon as I let him out of the kennel hes on a mission to mark the entire perimeter of the yard. I can turn the e-collar up and it doesn't even faze him, he's going to mark. It's not that big a deal to me that I will put him on a leash in my own yard to control where he pees, I get that its part of owning a dog and I'm fine with it but trying to please the other half as well. I can put a stake in the yard, which he'd pee on, but I swear he has 10 gallons of urine in him at all times, and he'd still mark all the other spots too.
Ohhhhh . Now you ARE in trouble. :)

Married 42 years , and my husband still complains about the dogs every Spring when he sees his patchwork quilt lawn. You get a chance to find out early if she, you and the dogs are going to get along. Many have said, "It's the dogs or me!"

(You know I'm just teasing you here.)

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Folks,

It is the nitrogen in urine, not salt nor acid.

And as already said not much you can do about it. It is why my dogs have their own 1 acre yard.

Water hose works best.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Neil wrote: Water hose works best.
For the Lawn or the dog? :lol:

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Sun May 18, 2014 10:40 pm

I had the same problem with my female GSP
I found a product from NaturVet called Brewers Dried Yeast with Garlic
It's like 2 tablets per 10# of dog weight
I drop 10 tablet into her bowl at breakfast and they disappear so did the brown spots in my yard
5000 tablets run about about $20.00 ( I think? ) on Amazon
I don't have issues with fleas on her either

Give it a shot

Good luck