Did breeding and now her eating habits are weird

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 am

So we went ahead and bred our female to the dog I mentioned in the last topic I posted. I picked up my girl a few days ago and now her eating habits are completely screwy. She no longer likes the food she used to love but prefers the "weight maintenance" food we give my wife's "athletically challenged" basset hound. I had her on a good 30/20 active breed dog food and my understanding is that I should be giving her about 50% more food the first 4 weeks of the pregnancy and then gradually increase that to free-feeding the last month. I am assuming that this is to provide her with enough calories and nutrition for puppy development. With that in mind, normally I would just put the bowl down and if she doesn't eat it in a few minutes I would take it away until the next meal time but I don't think I should do that in this situation. Should I give in and find another food that she really likes and will eat? Why on earth does she not like her food now anyway? Any folks out there with experience that could offer me some advice? Thanks!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Did breeding and now her eating habits are weird

Post by Karen » Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 am

What was she fed at the stud's owner's house? if she likes yogurt or cottage cheese, I'd mix a tablespoon or 2 of that into her regular food and see if she doesn't start eating again.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:58 am

I have no idea where you read that she needs more feed after being bred. She isn't hungry because of the change in your feeding practices. I would feed her the same amount she ate before till the last 3 weeks and then she could have a little more if she is wanting and needing it. There is little growth with the litter till that last trimester and then the pups will add about 2/3 of their weight in that last period. Feeding too much just adds weight to the pups and can cause difficult deliveries. The pups are better off being small and strong with an easy delivery compared to the large puppies that go through a longer time in the actual delivery and a much longer and harder labor and delivery for the female. The last few days at the end of the gestation period she should be fed cooling type feeds and not the high heat producing feeds that she needs at other times.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 13, 2014 11:59 am

I just continue feeding my females the performance blend if she doesnt want to eat it as suggested add a little cottage cheese to it. You do not want excess weight on your dig as a fat dog is going to have problems. Continue exercise as she knows it as a dog that is physicality fit will have an easier time. there is a bigv difference from eating FOR two or eating like two. I will add cottage cheese towards the last few weeks till then ibpretty much feed normal

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks folks. It sounds like I may have been a bit mislead regarding the feeding. Keep the comments coming. Btw, I am going to give my vet a shout just to get some advice straight from the horse's mouth but I know a lot of you on here have probably whelped just about as many pups as a vet so I appreciate what you've got to say.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 13, 2014 3:22 pm

Most females go off their food a bit at about week two. I doubt you could get her to eat 50% more in the first month. They will not starve themselves or the puppies.Exercise and her normal food will work great. If she appears hungry feed her more. She probably won't eat more. I can not stress enough the importance of a good exercise program. You want her strong. Our normal Delivery time for 8 to 9 puppies is four hours.
When she gets really into nursing you will be amazed how much she eats. My 50 pound bitches eat 10 to 12 cups of performance food. they are exercised regularly and do not lose their condition during lactation..........................Cj

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 pm

I couldn't agree more with CJ. I view a decreased appetite after breeding to be a good sign. Keeping the dog conditioned is essential before birth and after in my opinion also.

Even if it's your bitch's first litter, she probably knows what to do without your help. Have a plan in case there's a problem, but don't intervene unless it is really necessary.

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Do y'all keep her on the same food while pregnant and then after whelping?

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Tue May 13, 2014 7:58 pm

I feed a quality high fat food year round to all of my dogs. I wean the puppies to the same food.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 am

My repro vet has us switch to puppy food after her 30 day post breeding check-up. No increase in quantity.