Boykin Energy/Busy-ness Level?

Nutmeg247

Boykin Energy/Busy-ness Level?

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Apologies if I missed an earlier discussion of this. I'm considering Boykins as one possibility for my next dog. Currently I have a pointer and am looking for a flusher, with ability to do water work and deal with cold temps here and there a plus. I have direct exposure to labs and field-bred springers, and have seen good field-line English cockers. For boykins, I've seen pet boykins, but have never seen a hunting dog except on youtube.

In terms of busy-ness, and ability to settle and focus, are they more in line with other spaniels, or with labs? I realize these are big generalizations, having seen some crazy labs as well.

Thanks,

John

crackerd

Re: Boykin Energy/Busy-ness Level?

Post by crackerd » Wed May 14, 2014 3:09 am

Are you familiar with the generalisation that trips off the tongues of our across-the-pond brethren: that Labs are born half-trained while spaniels die half-trained? That doesn't apply to any breed as for being born half-house-trained. Indoors, they - all gundog breeds - are what we make of and train them into as canine good citizens. House-train them into. "Crazy" field trial Labs included - and the real craziness on them from first-hand testimony is what models of civility they grow into. Right up there with Boykins in the good behaviour department

So it's not "focus" or "busy-ness" consideration, it's housetraining that you impart and cultivate over time, with routine and regimen, that leads to what you want in a canine companion. They don't come more companionable than Boykins. Stopping to smell - and sometimes retrieve - the roses for 13 years now...

among other items, of course - cold water included.

MG

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed May 14, 2014 6:33 am

I think spaniels have a tendency to be busy but I wouldn't say hyper. My cocker never lies down in the house, he's always on the move but he's not bouncing off the walls. Just has an active mind that needs to be occupied. I would assume boykins are the same

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed May 14, 2014 5:26 pm

I have no experience of Boykins at all ....wish I did, I've fancied the breed for years. I have 3 male cockers all living in the house except for during the night when they are kennelled. They all spend most of their time in the house lying down sleeping .....preferably up on someone's knees ! :roll:

From what I have read about Boykins they would behave in much the same way or maybe even more so. Cockers are a very "hyper" breed out working but they settle down quite quickly when away from working situations. I think Boykins would behave similarly.
Pups of just about any breed do often "take daft turns" during which they run around inside the house but in time that sort of behaviour greatly diminishes or vanishes completely.

Bill T,

Ez4

Post by Ez4 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Are a Springer and Cocker's energy levels about the same? Is a boykin on par with them or more relaxed?