Incubator's ?

Max2

Incubator's ?

Post by Max2 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:11 am

I usually buy my quail as day old but thought i might like to take it to the next level & hatch my own. Anyone reccomend a good starter incubator ? Not a toy & not total professional type.

Mumpy

Re: Incubator's ?

Post by Mumpy » Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 am

Myself and my hunting buddy are also going to take the next step and hatch our own this year. I'm purchasing this one http://www.quailsupply.com/Circulated-A ... 2362NQ.htm and adding the Universal Quail Egg Rotator for an additional $52.00.

I figure if it doesn't work out, I'll donate it to my daughters school and they could use it for a project or something, haha

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 am

Gqf manufacturing, I've had very good success with using 2 Styrofoam incubators. I also have 2 sportsman incubators but if your not doing couple hundred at a time, at least, they aren't worth firing up.

Be slightly religious in watching over them and not opening them and the Styrofoam incubators work fine. I use one with a turner and the other to dry chicks in for a short time.

mm

Post by mm » Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 pm

I have two Hova Bater type styrfoam and they work great with the turner. I had a browning top hatch and I did not like it the Hova Bater with turner was cheaper and better.
mm

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Wed May 14, 2014 1:16 pm

This will be my first ever attempt, hopefully we get a decent number of chicks. I'm ordering 100 Eggs, so we'll see.

Collins1527

Post by Collins1527 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:15 pm

what do you guys give for 1 day old chicks? and what do the eggs run?

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 am

Collins1527 wrote:what do you guys give for 1 day old chicks? and what do the eggs run?
Mumpy wrote:This will be my first ever attempt, hopefully we get a decent number of chicks. I'm ordering 100 Eggs, so we'll see.
My first attempt also at hatching my own. I have gotten tired of looking for day old. Not many co's will ship less then 100 birds.
Plus shipping them (bobwhite's) is hard on them .
I am not doing this to save money. I do it because I enjoy it.

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Thu May 15, 2014 6:28 am

I am not doing this to save money. I do it because I enjoy it.
Yea, we are also not doing it to save money but do hope they at least pay for themselves. We're putting in a 40' Flight Pen and hope to raise around 450 flight conditioned birds a year. We figure this will put us at a break even point and allow us to continue to put birds out for our dogs. I TRULY believe the statement of "Birds train dogs to point" and plan to make that happen.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:37 am

Pointing is instinct that birds Can help bring out, holding point, at least thru the flush takes some amount if training especially with pen raised birds. Pen raised birds can teach a dog to crowd and catch. One must also remember that the bump/flush and chase can also be self rewarding and if allowed long enough extinguish pointing or at least make training much more challenging. Just something to think about if your hoping pen raised birds will teach a dog like wild birds will.

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Thu May 15, 2014 10:26 am

New postby birddog1968 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am

Pointing is instinct that birds Can help bring out, holding point, at least thru the flush takes some amount if training especially with pen raised birds. Pen raised birds can teach a dog to crowd and catch. One must also remember that the bump/flush and chase can also be self rewarding and if allowed long enough extinguish pointing or at least make training much more challenging. Just something to think about if your hoping pen raised birds will teach a dog like wild birds will.
I agree, but the decline of quail across the country doesn't make it to feasible to depend on wild quail to be readily available when I need them.

Pen Raised birds + Remote Bird Launcher should take care of what I need to get done.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am

agreed, I was only speaking to "birds teach dogs to point" as it relates to pen raised birds......

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Thu May 15, 2014 11:26 am

Ahhhh, well, speaking of wild birds...

After this past Turkey season I found a few places where the Quail were whistling and have marked those areas to revisit. I also plan on going back out this weekend in the mornings and try to find a few more areas. I'm retired military here at Fort Benning Georgia so I have a good 180,000 Acres of Land I can hunt and I would be willing to bet there are probably less than 3 Quail hunters on this entire post, which turns out to be good for me :D