excessive.drooling

minigooch

excessive.drooling

Post by minigooch » Sat May 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi all . I have a 16 week GSP. Everything has been going great but I noticed that the past two times in the truck he starts to drool excessively . He has never done this before. He has been for long rides (1 hr or more ) before and has not been bothered by it . The rides were relatively short 10-20 mins tops. I'm not too concerned just more curious to what is going on.He rides in the back seat and I assume he may be getting car sick .Wondering if anyone else experienced this. We will be doing some traveling over the summer and want to keep him comfortable. Thanks for replies in advance. Minigooch

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat May 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Some dogs experience car sickness if they can see out of the car. Try keeping him in a crate.

RichK

Re: excessive.drooling

Post by RichK » Sat May 17, 2014 3:49 pm

My GSP does this, it isn't from car sickness to my knowledge though. Usually it happens because he gets excited and is on the watch for birds while I drive.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat May 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Excessive drooling is indeed a sign of car sickness in dogs.

RichK

Re:

Post by RichK » Sat May 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Excessive drooling is indeed a sign of car sickness in dogs.

I'm sure it is a sign, I'm just saying that my dog is fine in the car until he starts getting birdy, at which point he starts to drool.

Del Lolo

Re:

Post by Del Lolo » Sun May 18, 2014 7:44 am

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Some dogs experience car sickness if they can see out of the car. Try keeping him in a crate.
Yep into a crate for sure. Not only for the car sickness symptoms, but also for the safety of both the dog and the humans in the car as well.
IMO, NO DOG SHOULD BE TRANSPORTED UNLESS IT IS CONTAINED.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 18, 2014 12:39 pm

minigooch wrote:Hi all . I have a 16 week GSP. Everything has been going great but I noticed that the past two times in the truck he starts to drool excessively . He has never done this before. He has been for long rides (1 hr or more ) before and has not been bothered by it . The rides were relatively short 10-20 mins tops. I'm not too concerned just more curious to what is going on.He rides in the back seat and I assume he may be getting car sick .Wondering if anyone else experienced this. We will be doing some traveling over the summer and want to keep him comfortable. Thanks for replies in advance. Minigooch
From that back seat, can he see the horizon out the front window? As a person who has had car sickness for 67 years , the solution I've learned is to be able to focus on the horizon /in the distance. It has to do with inner ear balance - like vertigo- and if you can focus on the horizon , you are fine. Crated but able to see the horizon - not able to look out the side windows.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun May 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Sounds like excitement to me. Its no different then dinner time.

DenverHound

Re: Re:

Post by DenverHound » Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 am

Del Lolo wrote:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Some dogs experience car sickness if they can see out of the car. Try keeping him in a crate.
Yep into a crate for sure. Not only for the car sickness symptoms, but also for the safety of both the dog and the humans in the car as well.
IMO, NO DOG SHOULD BE TRANSPORTED UNLESS IT IS CONTAINED.
+1

My GSP drools heavily if I forget to cover his crate on a drive.