does it matter what he is retrieving?

natel24

does it matter what he is retrieving?

Post by natel24 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:26 pm

I am starting some basic retrieving training with my pup. He is about 13 or 14 weeks old. The problem i am having is he will retrieve a bumper (small orange canvas type) in the hallway great, as soon as we venture outside he will run to the bumper but not bring it back. So I went in our house and got his favorite elmo stuffed animal he stole from my daughter and started tossing it. Brings it back every time, even in the tall grass. Is this a problem, or should i just be happy he's bringing anything back at this point? Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: does it matter what he is retrieving?

Post by DonF » Sun May 18, 2014 5:44 pm

He a puppy, I wouldn't worry about it. Retrieving is a function. What that function is learned with doesn't really matter.

deke

Post by deke » Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

I trained my first hunting dog by throwing half full water bottles into a drainage pond. I think you will be alright.

winchester pre64

Post by winchester pre64 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:40 am

My GSP 9 month old will always retrieve a quail to hand. However she tires quickly on bumpers and tennis balls. She will retieve a lagre tonka truck looking tire till she physically gives out. I guess she likes to see it roll and bounce over things. She loves it, we chase it for atleast thirty min a day. It has not effected her on game, for her its just great fun, I dont think it matters.