Pointer questions

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Mon May 19, 2014 12:59 pm

So I'm planning on getting my first Brittany here at the end of the year because I like that it's a great family dog and because of the size. However I've been looking at some of these beautiful English pointers on here. So my question is how are they with kids? Also I know the standard sizes for females are between 45-70lbs. So do you breeders breed for size as well? Do some of you breed for smaller dogs or bigger dogs? I really like the looks of these smaller looking pointers on here. Most GSPs seem closer to the 75lb range. Maybe I'm mixing the breeds up, I don't know. I guess in short I'm looking for a dog in the 45lb range.

Thanks.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointer questions

Post by PntrRookie » Mon May 19, 2014 1:11 pm

MGIII wrote:...how are they with kids?
Great - just like any other breed...it's in the socialization
Image Image
MGIII wrote:Also I know the standard sizes for females are between 45-70lbs. So do you breeders breed for size as well? Do some of you breed for smaller dogs or bigger dogs? I really like the looks of these smaller looking pointers on here. Most GSPs seem closer to the 75lb range. Maybe I'm mixing the breeds up, I don't know. I guess in short I'm looking for a dog in the 45lb range.
I think those would be some 'ol school GSPs. Most GSPs and EPs (that aren't on the AA circuit) are between 40-55 lbs. IMO, I don't believe breeders really market their breeding by size. The same litter can produce various shapes and sizes. Look at the parents and that should give you the ballpark. I do know that some GREAT pointers are sold because a breeder wants to keep a larger male/female for his/her program. If you want a pointer around the 45 lb range, you can easily find a EP, GSP or Setter in that range. This pointer I had was around that...maybe a little less.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

That is a good looking dog

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Sample Images

Post by PntrRookie » Mon May 19, 2014 1:41 pm

DonF wrote:That is a good looking dog
Thx Don. She was too smart for trialing...had to sell her. Couldn't trust her ;)

MGIII here are two setters and a pointer. Tough to tell by the photos but the black and white one (just 2 yrs old) is shorter and probably right around 50lbs (if that). The orange and white is only 10 months old. Long legs and should fill out between 55-60 (I am guessing). The pointer is about 17 months old and built like a powerhouse. He is short coupled and is over 55lbs.
All these breeds produce various shapes and sizes. All of mine are GREAT with kids.

Image Image Image

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 pm

PntrRookie wrote: The same litter can produce various shapes and sizes.
Yes this is what draws me to the breed. I used to breed pit bulls when I was younger and loved the fact that you never knew what markings and colors you would get on your pups. It was exciting to me.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I have some thinking and deciding to do on what breed I want to go with.
Last edited by MGIII on Mon May 19, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Mon May 19, 2014 4:19 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
MGIII wrote:...how are they with kids?
Great - just like any other breed...it's in the socialization

Being that I raised and did some breeding of pitbulls I am a big believer of this.

On a side note I no longer own or have any desire to have another pitbull. I hate reputation they have. The strength that they have scares me around my kids. I believe it is on how you train them. Every pit I owned was great with people. I had 1 that was the sweetest dog until it got around my moms dog. They hated each other for some reason. That put a bad taste in my mouth. I do not dislike the breed I just am at a point in my life to where I want a different breed. My last dog was a chocolate lab which I loved. The best dog I've ever owned however labs are a bit bigger than what we need or want right now.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 pm

If you're wanting a smaller pointer, look at the Crow's Little Joe dogs. They tend to run smaller. 35-45 pound males aren't uncommon.

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

displaced_texan wrote:If you're wanting a smaller pointer, look at the Crow's Little Joe dogs. They tend to run smaller. 35-45 pound males aren't uncommon.
I'll have to look into them. Sounds ideal.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 20, 2014 6:13 am

MGIII wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:If you're wanting a smaller pointer, look at the Crow's Little Joe dogs. They tend to run smaller. 35-45 pound males aren't uncommon.
I'll have to look into them. Sounds ideal.
I love them. Not huge running, all the ones I've been around were great house dogs. One lived in an apartment.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 am

It's not a socialization issue, but pointer tails can be wicked with kids and even for some adults. So, that can entail a little more supervision in closer quarters in particular.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue May 20, 2014 8:11 am

Nutmeg247 wrote:... pointer tails can be wicked with kids and even for some adults. So, that can entail a little more supervision in closer quarters in particular.
If you feel wagging/whipping tails can be "wicked" - that is not a breed issue (pointers) because that is ANY long tailed breed...(lab, chessie, pointer, setter, german longhaired, SM, LM) and in my opinion not a reason to discard a breed.

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 am

Nutmeg247 wrote:It's not a socialization issue, but pointer tails can be wicked with kids and even for some adults. So, that can entail a little more supervision in closer quarters in particular.
Standard for any long tailed dog.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 am

PntrRookie wrote:
Nutmeg247 wrote:... pointer tails can be wicked with kids and even for some adults. So, that can entail a little more supervision in closer quarters in particular.
If you feel wagging/whipping tails can be "wicked" - that is not a breed issue (pointers) because that is ANY long tailed breed...(lab, chessie, pointer, setter, german longhaired, SM, LM) and in my opinion not a reason to discard a breed.
Not saying it's a reason to discard the breed, but relative to a GSP, e.g., could for some people be something to bear in mind if it will be in the house a lot and frequently around small kids, or the elderly for that matter. I own a pointer myself so didn't discard the breed as a choice by any means...but my in-laws don't like being near him when he's excited specifically because of the tail. For me personally, I also find shorthaired, muscular dogs to have a bit more whack with the tail than dogs with a bit more coat, but it is also possible I'm simply a wuss. Not looking to criticize the breed at all.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am

One bit of "culture shock" going from pits to pointers, is the amount of off leash time a pointer will need when compared to a pit. My LM who spends 8:30-4:00 in the kennel needs an hour of hard running and some training activities to keep the edge off but I have to make sure he gets good an drained on the weekends, though I am usually out walking him 1.5-2 hours most evenings after supper. My kids tell me when I am not home he just lies around a sleeps most of the time, and saves his "wall bouncing" for when I come home.

He has a fluffy tail and it still hurts :)

MGIII

Pointer questions

Post by MGIII » Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am

aulrich wrote:One bit of "culture shock" going from pits to pointers, is the amount of off leash time a pointer will need when compared to a pit. My LM who spends 8:30-4:00 in the kennel needs an hour of hard running and some training activities to keep the edge off but I have to make sure he gets good an drained on the weekends, though I am usually out walking him 1.5-2 hours most evenings after supper. My kids tell me when I am not home he just lies around a sleeps most of the time, and saves his "wall bouncing" for when I come home.

He has a fluffy tail and it still hurts :)

Yeah I gave my pits and my lab lots of off the leash time. They need the exercise. A bored out of shape dog is not good. Dogs get cabin fever like humans do.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 am

My pointer is great with my kids. I have an enclosed yard where the dogs (I got a pointer, GSP and a lab) can run to their hearts content.

Bluesky2012

Pointer questions

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:11 am

PntrRookie wrote:
DonF wrote:That is a good looking dog
Thx Don. She was too smart for trialing...had to sell her. Couldn't trust her ;)

MGIII here are two setters and a pointer. Tough to tell by the photos but the black and white one (just 2 yrs old) is shorter and probably right around 50lbs (if that). The orange and white is only 10 months old. Long legs and should fill out between 55-60 (I am guessing). The pointer is about 17 months old and built like a powerhouse. He is short coupled and is over 55lbs.
All these breeds produce various shapes and sizes. All of mine are GREAT with kids.

Image Image Image

I used to have a female English setter that had the same black/white markings. Sweetest dog I've ever run across. She used to find stray kittens, baby squirrels, etc and take em to her kennel and try to raise them. But you put her on a quail and that was a different story.