"BREAK TIME POSER"

Irishwhistler

"BREAK TIME POSER"

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 am

My Labrador pup, TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD takes a wee break during a pigeon shoot we did last Saturday taking a few over 200 birds. NEVER really "off the job", TRAD sneaks a sniff of bird scent during a lull. At 8 months, TRAD is nearly fully gunfire conditioned and was very tolerant of constant pounding of 12 and 20 guage reports as pigeons were shot on the wing, TRAD showing no aversion to the sound. He has been slowly and properly conditioned to incrementally louder and closer gunfire over a period of months.

Having dropped some birds in high and heavy grassland cover, TRAD was allowed to "HUNT DEAD" on four occasions for dead birds and went 4 /4 as he worked the birds based soley in on his scenting ability. As each bird was located and picked up, TRAD was recalled to my side with 3 peeps on my whistle where he came to "HEEL and SIT" while holding the bird until issued the command "GIVE" when gently presented the bird to hand.

Likely this will be TRAD'S last opportunity to "HUNT DEAD" for some time, that being until he has been fully taught 3 hand casting / handling to blind retrieves, this being to prevent the potential for rogue independence. Rather, TRAD will be continually trained as a rock steady, non-slip retriever. Once those skill sets are firmly entrenched, we will move on to and add upland bird hunting skills inclusive of sit to wing and shot.

All in all, TRAD'S training has gone incredibly well to date and he has an amazing amount of potential.

Cheers,
IRISHWHISTLERImage

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: "BREAK TIME POSER"

Post by Sharon » Tue May 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Sounds like you have a fine dog. What location? No pigeon shoots allowed where I live.

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue May 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Sharon,
Hope ye don't mind but I would rather not discuss location on an open forum. These sites are known as intel gathering grounds for ANTI HUNTING types and I wish not to play into their hands. :D Let's just say it was on a privately owned farmland with a large dairy herd and an even larger population of nuisance pigeons. Er, a , um- well they did. :)

Irishwhistler

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Everybody knows the pigeon shoots go on in PA.....

Im almost betting I know exactly where that pond is on page 6 of your photobucket..... :wink:

Irishwhistler

Post by Irishwhistler » Tue May 27, 2014 4:39 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Everybody knows the pigeon shoots go on in PA.....

Im almost betting I know exactly where that pond is on page 6 of your photobucket..... :wink:
True that PA is famous as a pigeon shooting mecca. I have never shot a pigeon in PA. i believe most of the pigeon shoots in PA are trapped and released birds.

We are not shooting trapped and released birds, we are shooting free ranging pigeons that come and go as they please. We actually put out decoys including a mojo pigeon decoy.

Send me a PM of where ye think the pond is, if ye get it right, I might invite ye on a hunt.

Irishwhistler

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Irishwhistler wrote:Sharon,
Hope ye don't mind but I would rather not discuss location on an open forum. These sites are known as intel gathering grounds for ANTI HUNTING types and I wish not to play into their hands. :D Let's just say it was on a privately owned farmland with a large dairy herd and an even larger population of nuisance pigeons. Er, a , um- well they did. :)

Irishwhistler

I understand. I was just wondering what State. 200 nuisance pigeons! Wow. That's quite a nuisance. :)

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Tue May 27, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm pretty impressed with your 8 month old lab!