Shipping puppies or dogs cross country

hi-tailyn

Shipping puppies or dogs cross country

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Why do you choose to ship your dogs or puppies the way you do?

As a breeder and have shipped a lot of pups across the country. When more than the buyer wants to drive, I fly all my pups United only to the buyer's closest lg airport.

Can anyone give reasons as to why they ship by ground carriers?

6 hrs flying vs 12-24 hrs driving.

I'm not saying ground travel is wrong or right, just curious to reasons for each.

Having my first experience with buyer wanting ground shipping. Longer and slower waiting for pick up of pup.

KwikIrish

Re: Shipping puppies or dogs cross country

Post by KwikIrish » Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 pm

This year, my client asked me to drive her 3 dogs from CA to the national in OH. Generally we only use Delta, but the summer embargo combined with the temps in CA made ground the best option for her dogs this time. If I wasn't able to drive out there and pick them up, I'm not sure she would send them at all. Generally, I prefer when she ships them, but when it comes to this time of the year... Options are limited.

kshanlen

Post by kshanlen » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

I have flown pets internationally with United's pet safe program with good success (and doing it again in a few days). But would still be concerned flying a pet in the heat of summer. When faced with the option of driving to Texas to pick up a dog or flying the dog up, I chose to drive.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:30 am

Continental keeps dogs climate controlled thru the whole process.

deseeker

Re:

Post by deseeker » Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Continental keeps dogs climate controlled thru the whole process.
+1 I've used Continental all year round, no matter the temperature, they will fly the sporting dogs(no short nosed dogs--bull dogs, pugs etc.) as long as they have cargo facilities at the airports. Continental was bought out by United, so now they do the all temperature flying of pets.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Hmmmmm....shows how long its been since I flew a dog, glad its still available.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Wed May 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I only use United(Continental before) to fly my pups and dogs. I have had problems with Delta. Didn't ship pup on booked flight. Sat at airport for another 5 hrs then bu
yer had to make second trip to Atlanta to pick up pup. Delta lost one of our stud dogs from FL to Atlanta in their cargo for 12 hrs, till he was found and shipped back to Dallas and had not been let out of crate for the 24hr period. Dog never wet in crate, but had major relief when out side of cargo area.

Several other airlines will cancel their pet flights due to their not able to handle pets in temperature extremes.

Is there a benefit for those that live several hours from any major airport that having their dog delivered to their door well worth the time and price?

Do some believe driving is safer than flying?

Have any had any bad experiences with cargo handlers that they choose ground shipping?

Curious to the benefits of ground vs. flying.

Are the ground shippers pet area air conditioned / heated? How long in crates are the pups each trip. How long are some of these trips. Do they stop overnight and what do they do with feeding and rest stops?