First time breeding/whelping advice

J Reverb

First time breeding/whelping advice

Post by J Reverb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:01 am

Hey, guys,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I recently bred my pointer bitch, and she is due to whelp in a little over two weeks. This is the first time I have ever bred dogs, so I'm a little nervous about what to expect and what to do if anything goes wrong.

I'm getting lots of good advice from the fella I bought the bitch from, but just wanted to make sure there's nothing I'm forgetting to ask him.

What I'm most concerned about is the whelping process: how long it should go on; when I should be concerned if it's not proceeding right (and how to know if it's not proceeding right); how to handle any breech births; and whether, when and how much to give her oxytocin.

If anyone has any advice or information to help me, I'd be very thankful. Thanks in advance,

JR

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: First time breeding/whelping advice

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 pm

a complete breech is not a big deal it is when the pup is side ways blocking the canal..in your case being new Have vet number handy as if she goes pushing solid for more then an hour..and I am not talking about just having a contraction and a little later having another I am talking about a constant pushing and pushing and nothing coming for an hours then it is a good time to call vet.

approx 63 days from first breeding is normal But I have things prepped weeks in advance letting female get comfortable with her surroundings and newer routines

there is far to much to talk about for full understanding but a whelp box with a rail that helps the pups from getting smashed behind momma
is good
generally the females temp will drop to the 98 about 24 hours before whelping

Having a trash bag plenty of paper towels and lots of small bar rags is good during the whelping

Sugar for umbilical bleeders

that is some of the things
Check your PM box also

S'setter

Post by S'setter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Thread & alcohol... We tied the Corded off with thread to insure no excess bleeding. A cotton ball with alcohol to insure it's clean...
An extra set of hands to rub the pups & clean them up... rubbing stimulates the pup (like mom licking them).

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:55 pm

My females usually quit eating about 2 days before they have the pups and do a lot of hiding behind furniture and nesting in the whelping pen(digging at the newspapers and tearing them up and pushing them around to suit them). I've got britts---a big litter(8 to 10 pups will usually take about 8 hours). My pups usually aren't spaced evenly---she might have 3 the 1st hour, then maybe no pups for an hour, then a couple more, etc. A lot of times on my dogs, the last pup might be an 1 1/2 or longer after all the rest. I always cut the umbilicle cords because I don't want to take a chance on the mother pulling on it and causing a herniated belly button. If the female's teeth don't match and she has a bad bite, you run a greater risk of a herniated belly button(I just cut them and then I never have to worry about it). In my dogs it seems about one out of every 4 comes out breech with no problems. Once they are breathing and she it done cleaning them up, I'll usually rub fairly vigorously with a dry towel to get them completely dried off. If you don't have a heated nesting pad, make sure the room where you have the pups is fairly warm so they don't get chilled. Good luck with your litter.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 pm

I just let the mom do all the work! I check on her every 30 minutes or so to make sure she is doing well. I don't usually even touch them till it's all said and done.

J Reverb

Post by J Reverb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 am

Thank you for all the eplies. I really appreciate the experience and expertise.

Do you folks normally use a pit shot of oxytocin after all the pups are whelped to make sure no placenta or anything is left that might cause problems (also to stimulate milk production)?

I believe the breeder I bought her from uses and suggests I use oxytocin, but as I said, this is all new to me.

Thanks again.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:36 am

Elkhunter wrote:I just let the mom do all the work! I check on her every 30 minutes or so to make sure she is doing well. I don't usually even touch them till it's all said and done.
This is the best advice, just be in tune and constant contact with the female to make sure she whelps the first puppy without any problems.

Deseekers post needs some clarification. You should NEVER cut umbilical cords with sharp scissors, it should be smashed by hemostats and with a towel between your fingers it can be torn apart to mimic how the mother would do it. Or tied by dental floss like mentioned previously. Never cut the cord if the placenta is still attached and has not come out. Also, it's perfectly normal for the mother to lift the puppy up with her mouth while she's chewing the cord in half and it supposedly stimulates the puppy. If she bites too far down it could cause a problem, but like Elkhunter eluded, the instinct is incredible, even on the mothers first litter. Help her figure it out if you want, but personally, I would just watch and make sure things are going well.

I've got two litters coming one day apart, according to the ultrasounds, come the fourth of July. We'll see if I can adhere to my own advice :D :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:16 am

Elkhunter wrote:I just let the mom do all the work! I check on her every 30 minutes or so to make sure she is doing well. I don't usually even touch them till it's all said and done.
+1

I know we always think we know best but I have found that Mother Nature usually does the best job with the least interference possible. Cleaning and caring for the newly born is an important part of mom and pup bonding plus it gives the mother the nutrients she needs to start lactating when she need arises.

Ezzy

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Buy the DVD Special Delivery

www.breederbase.com

It shows you everything you need to know.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Mother Nature usually does pretty well. Just keep a record of her temp in morning and then at night for the week preceeding welping. When it drops a degree or more for 24 hours they should arrive within 12 hours or so. Good luck.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
+1

I know we always think we know best but I have found that Mother Nature usually does the best job with the least interference possible. Cleaning and caring for the newly born is an important part of mom and pup bonding plus it gives the mother the nutrients she needs to start lactating when she need arises.

Ezzy
+1

But I watch carefully. Had a pup born not breathing; had to be resuscitated and turned out to be a great dog.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:31 pm

I also have had to clear the birth membrane from around a puppy, but it was
My fault because I was distracting the mother. I keep my distance now & let her handle it.

Db

J Reverb

Post by J Reverb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:41 am

Thank you again, everyone. I really appreciate your help.