pigeons eating eggs?

big_fish

pigeons eating eggs?

Post by big_fish » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Has anyone had their pigeons eat the eggs? I had a couple sets and today I went in and the eggs were gone I looked around and found them and 1 off the egg shells was out in the aviary.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: pigeons eating eggs?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:18 pm

The chances are that the egg broke and the bird set on it long enough for it to stick to her feathers when she got off of the nest and it came loose after she got into the aviary.

Ezzy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:48 pm

I've still got a few nest's that I haven't put a slide out floor and lip on yet. I get eggs broke on the floor under then now and then. Never has happened in a nest with a lip on it.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 pm

I've had similar mysterious egg incidents lately. The one pair of pigeons have laid eggs in the last few months - then after sitting on them for a week or so, the eggs end up out of the nest and then "moved" out of the box altogether and broken on the floor of the pen. I couldn't figure out why. This pair have had several previous healthy offspring - the parents are about 3 years old. Then, I thought maybe they can tell if the eggs aren't viable after a week or so and they move them out of the nest? Has anyone else had that happen. They aren't eating the eggs as I see the "progress" of the eggs moving from the nest out to the pigeon pen floor over a day or so. She's just laid two more and they are acting like normal so far - both very attentive at sitting on the eggs. I'll see what happens.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:48 am

haven't had that happen yet. Have had several eggs in the floor get busted but they didn't have a chance to start with.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:43 am

This pair was nesting on the floor. I never seen any of the eating the eggs. We had chickens in the past do this so I assumed they are eating them. I'll keep a closer eye on them.