Pigeon foster parents?

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Pigeon foster parents?

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 am

I have a couple of hens that wont quit laying eggs in the floor, they always get busted so we pretty much have been just tossing them, well this weekend a hen had laid two eggs in the floor again so my wife grabbed them & stuck them up in a nest, the hen that uses that nest has been sitting on the eggs, she has raised 3-4 sets of babies since I have had her and was already an adult when I got her. Will she hatch & raise the babies from another hen? Dang these things are crazy, rabbits ain't got nuthin on pigeons.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Pigeon foster parents?

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 am

Any of you pigeon guys had a female raise chicks from another females eggs? I'll toss them if I should.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:17 am

In order to produced more young out of our top racing pairs, we will take their eggs and swap them into nests of our lesser race birds who laid at a similar time. If the timing isn't close regarding day layed/date expected to hatch, the foster parents will stop setting the eggs. We have never attempted to have a pair raise more than two eggs. Both hen and cock set and raise the young, not just hen.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 am

Yeah, they are both sitting on the eggs. These two have raised several babies successfully but they had just finished with a pair of babies that flew the nest about 3 weeks ago. Not sure this is gonna work out.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 am

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:Yeah, they are both sitting on the eggs. These two have raised several babies successfully but they had just finished with a pair of babies that flew the nest about 3 weeks ago. Not sure this is gonna work out.
????????????????????? I'm lost What aren't you sure of?

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 am

he said: If the timing isn't close regarding day layed/date expected to hatch, the foster parents will stop setting the eggs.

The ones that are foster parenting haven't laid any eggs in about 6 weeks, they had just finished with two babies that flew the nest about two weeks ago.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 am

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:he said: If the timing isn't close regarding day layed/date expected to hatch, the foster parents will stop setting the eggs.

The ones that are foster parenting haven't laid any eggs in about 6 weeks, they had just finished with two babies that flew the nest about two weeks ago.
She.

If the fosters are setting on them, despite them not laying, you may have success. Just sit back and see what happens!

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:42 am

Sorry ma'am.