New guy here.

TxPepper

New guy here.

Post by TxPepper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:10 am

Hello everybody! My name is Ryan, i live in Austin Tx and I'm a huntaholic!! It's a beautiful addiction and I love it. I hunt anything and everything I can. Deer, hogs, dove, duck, turkey, exotics and fish. You name it and ill hunt it!!! Lol!!

Saturday I rescued a beautiful 2.5yo male GSP who is AKC registered. He's a great dog so far. He's constantly running and chasing birds in the back yard, to be honest with you I think he's obsessed!!! He retrieves a ball in the house but when you take him outside he loses all train of thought and obedience. This is gonna be a problem. Ive always wanted a bird dog and have always liked GSPs so I think he will be good for me if I can get him to hunt.

Sooo, that being said, I don't have the first clue as where to start. I've never trained a bird dog and have no idea on where to start. I'm sure heck need obedience training to start with. Any tips, pointers, advice, books, videos or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some pics of my new buddy. His name is Reagan.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401808167.499571.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401808188.345371.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401808205.069489.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotpepper

Re: New guy here.

Post by Hotpepper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 am

At age 2 without obedience traing in the past, for his safety and well being, it must start with obedience. All commands except sit, bird dogs don t sit on point so all the others will apply. The akc class is a good place to start, when at home, keep the training short and frequent during the day, several short ones are the best.

Good luck and get to work. Found any phobias yet, reason he was a rescue dog?

Paper

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Welcome, you have the right breed for this board. There are a ton of gsp owners and breeders that I'm sure will help. You do need to start with basic obedience which means the dog needs to come when called. I like Dave Walkers book but there are so many books and dvds out there it is dizzying. You might want to look for a local club or pro in your area. Good luck with your new dog.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Socialization should be first along with basic obedience (and I mean basic). A good recall and giving in to the lead are all you really need.. In fact, I would teach a "place" command and not even teach it Sit. Take him to Bass Pro and other places that allow dogs like Petco but he has to have some manners before that. I will be curious to hear how he is around other males. Taking on a rescue means that you basically can only expect a good pet with proper exposure. It becoming a good hunter is a bonus. Who did you Rescue it from?

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:30 pm

If you are looking into some professional help not too far from you I would highly recommend Tina Carles at T&T Birddog Kennels in Christoval. She has helped me with two dogs and I have been very very pleased.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:28 am

Nice looking pup & lot's of luck with him.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 am

Glad to have ya here.
Keep the fun in hunting, some guys take it way too serious.