GWP puppy size?

Djanes

GWP puppy size?

Post by Djanes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:21 am

I am getting a GWP in July. It will be 8 weeks old and am wondering as to how big they are at that age. I'm hoping that it would still be small enough to fit in a carrier that can go under the seat in front f me on an airliner. Other wise I will be in for a very long drive. The pup is in Minnesota and I am in Florida.

Thanks in advance

reba

Re: GWP puppy size?

Post by reba » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:53 pm

What size is the space under the seat?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Is Jetta the Mom

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:40 pm

I just picked up a pup from SD, He Would not fit under an airline seat. besides how would you keep him or her quiet. Mine cried most of the way home SD to Colorado Springs,660 miles in a med size crate.

powbass@gmail.com

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Image I have't figured out the picture thing

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes Jetta is the mom. As for plane seat size I don't know yet. Hopefully a 757 sitting in first class. Those seats would be the biggest. As for why on a plane, because a 3 1/2 hr flight beats three 9 hr days in the car. But what ever I have to do I'll do.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:20 pm

The breeder (No-Mars) of my GSP put her in a crate and flew her from Caldwell, ID to San Jose, CA; which was a nonstop flight of less than an hour. Leo even included a leash attached to the crate, so I could walk her before the trip home. It took me 21/2 hours to drive to the airport.

Most likely there are no nonstop flights from Minnesota to Florida.

The problem with driving a pup across country is the danger of it getting really sick because it will not have all it's shots. Potty breaks are a good place for the pup to pick up something nasty like parvo. DON'T DO THIS!

You can fly with your puppy on the same flight with you. The puppy will be in an airline approved crate in pressurized luggage for about $100. This service is not the same as shipping an animal without it's owner.

Your best bet is to CALL THE AIRLINE NOW.

NOTE: THE AIRLINE WILL NEED A HEALTH CERTIFICATE FROM A VET. Once again consult the airlines.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 pm

I would suggest looking into shipping your pup with one of the major airlines. I had my GSP puppy shipped from TN to CA through ATL with Delta Cargo with no problems. I just shipped him back for training through Delta with no problems. I think pups have to be a minimum of 10 wks though, so your breeder would have to hold onto him for a couple extra weeks. There are several threads on this forum about shipping via airlines if you're looking for more info. The airlines also have pretty good websites that answer a lot questions. Good luck.
Last edited by mtlhdr on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:40 pm

I have had people take 8 wk old GWP puppies as carry on's in the past. Get yourself one of those Sherpa bags made for small dogs. They are soft sided with ventilation screens on the ends or top. Any pet shop should have one. The puppy has to fit under the seat in front of you, and at that age will work. Make sure you make arrangements with the airline!!!

You could ship also, but in summer to Florida - won't be easy unless you can find a night flight. Temperatures will probably be too high, maybe on both ends of the trip.

Bring a good bone or something for puppy to chew on. Make sure breeder doesn't feed him before the flight. He will probably sleep, but you can always sneak him onto your lap! Or try to anyhow.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:44 pm

Actually there are several non stop flights each day from Minniapolis to Tampa

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Pups must be 8 weeks to fly, Continental and United have climate controlled cargo and unload animals first, they have no summertime embargo. We will be shipping pups internationally in July.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 pm

In April, I flew to Minneapolis to pick up an 8 week old GSP pup and brought her back in a carrier bag under the seat on a Delta flight. The staff at the airport and on the plane were great. She was perfectly quiet and slept the whole way. My two other pups which were Britts did the same. They were all quiet for the whole trip. I brought along some newspaper, and in the airport before the flight, we found a family washroom which was private and I was able to spread out the papers and let the pup run around a little. Actually, none of the three pups caused a minute of trouble. Relax and enjoy meeting the breeder and picking up your pup.

Djanes

Post by Djanes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Thank You for all your input and experiences. Having brought a pup home from Iowa to Florida by car once before I understand the concerns of illness and other issues in transporting a young pup by car. We are going to do our best to transport it by plane. We noe only need the airline to cooperate. Delta wont allow dogs under 10 weeks in the cabin. do they really check?