How often is too often for bird work

natel24

How often is too often for bird work

Post by natel24 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:06 pm

If I could take back one mistake from training my first gsp it would be not getting him into live birds until he was about 9 months old. Now with that being said I now have my puppy who is about 15 weeks and he has been introduced to birds several times already. I also have a loft that I built with access to pigeons that are now recalling. So my question is, how often to do bird work with him? can i overdue it? Is it possible to burn him out on birds? I can walk out my back door and go train him so I am pretty anxious every morning when i get home from work. And any tips on how to progress with these birds would be appreciated. I mainly have just been locking there wings and placing a few at a time and letting him find them with a check cord attached. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carolina Gundogs

Re: How often is too often for bird work

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 pm

I would recommend buying and reading "Training with Mo". Maurice Lindley does a great job describing the correct way to start a pup and then all they way through the steadying process.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Howie has been putting Tug on pigeons 2 to 3 Times a week. Puts out 1 to 2 birds a session. Loves using the Higgins releaser. Tug has a ton of point and high desire. Howie says as long as were getting good solid points there's no need for more Tug , todays training. + 1 on training with Mo. I just picked up a copy and reading Mo's book.
004 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:34 am

IMO - Letting a dog find wing locked pigeons more than a couple times MIGHT lead to a dog that has to creep close to the bird before stopping. Once they get the idea that "birds are good" use launchers to keep your dog respecting birds or if possible work only on wild birds. At the age your pup is bad habits are easy to start. i.e. bad habit = getting too close to the birds before they point, or busting in and scooping....

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:Howie has been putting Tug on pigeons 2 to 3 Times a week. Puts out 1 to 2 birds a session. Loves using the Higgins releaser. Tug has a ton of point and high desire. Howie says as long as were getting good solid points there's no need for more Tug , todays training. + 1 on training with Mo. I just picked up a copy and reading Mo's book.
004 (800x600).jpg

Are you using wild pigeons in the releasers, or homers?
Last edited by ibbowhunting on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Waiting 9 mos is not a mistake. I've waited a year on most my dog's. I theory is that while the pup is still a pup and likes to do what pup's do, don't wake up the devil. I do let them out to run a lot and they are welcome to chase every bird they find, game bird or "bleep" bird. Birds are bred into birds dog's. Any half way decent dog will come around really quick once you start planting birds for them, it is what they are bred to do! You turn the devil loose to soon and you have a know it all puppy doing his best to please himself.

What is a wing pigeon????

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:29 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:Are you using wing pigeons in the releasers or homers?
Homers and barn pigeons. , What is a wing pigeon ?

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 pm

wild (barn) pigeon, sorry, I'm new to releasers also, I'm thinking that using a barn pigeon on a young pup would be better then using homers, the barn pigeons will take a lot less pressure, then a homer, making it as close to wild bird hunting as possible, I was just interested if you see a difference in barn vs homing pigeons out of a releaser

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:22 am

Ms. Cage wrote:Howie has been putting Tug on pigeons 2 to 3 Times a week. Puts out 1 to 2 birds a session. Loves using the Higgins releaser. Tug has a ton of point and high desire. Howie says as long as were getting good solid points there's no need for more Tug , todays training. + 1 on training with Mo. I just picked up a copy and reading Mo's book.
004 (800x600).jpg
Nice pic ! Beautiful !