NA Test Botched

Ms. Cage

NA Test Botched

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am

Last night we were heading to Twin Cities to test Kate in her NA test this morning and hit a deer on I 35. Deer came from no where. Our pup was riding in my lap when the air bags blew. Scared the H out of both Tug and I. We are all OK. Howie was bummed of coarse . We were about 130 miles from home . We were able to get a hold of a friend. Brent drove down and picked us up . Long day, since I get up at
4: 30 am and didn't get home until 3 this morn. We had all 4 of our dogs with us. Hopefully we can run the St Croix test next weekend with Kate. Howie just looked at me and said, Da#* I just paid my Tacoma off 2 months ago. looks like about $10,000.00 in damage.

Doc E

Re: NA Test Botched

Post by Doc E » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:13 am

Ms. Cage wrote: Our pup was riding in my lap when the air bags blew.
SHAME on you ! ! :evil:
IMO, you should never transport a dog that isn't crated. What kind of shape would the dog be in if it was another vehicle and not just a deer ?
A crate is the dog's equivalent to seat belts and air bags.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:29 am

Tammy, I am glad you and Howie are ok! I

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:45 am

Doc E wrote:SHAME on you ! ! IMO, you should never transport a dog that isn't crated. What kind of shape would the dog be in if it was another vehicle and not just a deer ?A crate is the dog's equivalent to seat belts and air bags.
Yah , we always crate our dogs. Yesterday was a very busy day. Tug spent his whole day in a crate. We had stopped to eat and feed dogs . Tug was alittle upset that he spent the day in a crate and Thought well, I'll let tug ride in my lap awhile so he gets a little lovin. Sometimes you get bit. Tug crate was in the back seat of our double cab.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:35 pm

Glad every one is OK & like you said they come out of no where sometimes. :evil:

The only deer I have ever hit jumped off a bank in the dark but I saw the shadow coming through the air & hit the brakes,the deer just hit the Rd as I hit it,slid up my hood & back off then was gone never even dented the car.
I wasn't going that fast as it was down a very curvy hill,was a small buck.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:41 pm

Glad you hear you are all OK, that's really all that matters.

dogman23

Post by dogman23 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Sorry to hear the news. Sure glad Howie, you, and all the dogs made it out Ok. Stinks about the truck but its just a truck. Better the truck than one of you guys or a dog. I think you will have better luck next weekend.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:17 am

Oh dear. Glad you are all ok and only shaken up. Wildlife collisions happen in the blink of an eye, and are completely unpredictable. Better a whitetail than a moose, but too bad it had to happen at all. A big PIA, but could have been so much worse. PM on the way.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:15 am

Doc E wrote:
IMO, you should never transport a dog that isn't crated. What kind of shape would the dog be in if it was another vehicle and not just a deer ?

+1

Two never broken rules to ride with me in truck. 8)
1. Restraint; in crate, or pet harness seatbelt. Even the new 8 week old pup coming home from breeder.
2. Name on collar of dog.

How many times I hear of wrecks where emergency personal open doors or trailer doors and dogs take off for the woods scared for their lives.
Many are found soon and if phone number is on dog. Many others are gone for weeks and eventually located and they have been at a farm house the whole time, but no way to know who owns them. :roll:

windswept

Post by windswept » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:33 pm

hi-tailyn wrote:
Doc E wrote:

+1

Two never broken rules to ride with me in truck. 8)
1. Restraint; in crate, or pet harness seatbelt. Even the new 8 week old pup coming home from breeder.

How many times I hear of wrecks where emergency personal open doors or trailer doors and dogs take off for the woods scared for their lives.
Many are found soon and if phone number is on dog. Many others are gone for weeks and eventually located and they have been at a farm house the whole time, but no way to know who owns them. :roll:

Sorry to further the thread hijacking but I have to disagree.
I love having my dog ride in the front seat, next to me. Sure it's much more safe to have the dog in a crate but I've had thousands of enjoyable trips with one of my best buddies at my side. I realize that if I someday have a bad accident, pup (or me) may get seriously injured but I'll take the gamble........and I ride my bike without a helmet :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Glad you're safe. I had a vulture hit my windshield last week , that almost put me in the ditch. Be careful the turkeys are out to get you. :)

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:21 pm

hi-tailyn wrote: Two never broken rules to ride with me in truck. 8)

NOT the dog's name -- The tag should contain your last name -- phone number -- Chip number and the 800 number for the chip people.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Doc E wrote:
hi-tailyn wrote: Two never broken rules to ride with me in truck. 8)

NOT the dog's name -- The tag should contain your last name -- phone number -- Chip number and the 800 number for the chip people.

+1
Hadn't thought about Chip# info. Would defiantly make someone think twice about keeping dog if chipped.

Should of said :Your Name on collar of the dog

2 shorts accident stories:
Wife got run off road and turned our truck on its side with dogs in crates under the camper shell. Dogs were ok in their crate, till emergency personal thought they needed to let them out. They bolted and a derby and a3yr old were running around in the highway median with vehicles flying by at 70mph. Crate was the safest place for them.

Lady friend driving home from trial with horse trailer and trial dogs in trailer, and personal lap dog in the cab loose. Back tire blew and rolled truck and trailer up side down. All dogs and horses in trailer were ok. Dog in cab flew out of cab and she didn't find the dog for 3 months. No id collar and not secured. She was lucky to get the dog back.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Sounds to me like run off dogs. My husband has lost one dog in his life. He left his jacket where the truck was parked. The next morning the dog was laying on the jacket.

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Glad your ok. The one time I hit a Deer it was like a bomb went off and destroyed my radiator. You don't think how solid they are until you hit one. It one came through a windshield it could really hurt someone.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:Sounds to me like run off dogs. My husband has lost one dog in his life. He left his jacket where the truck was parked. The next morning the dog was laying on the jacket.
After the round and round tumble, to say the least the dogs were scared and confused. If restrained in crate they would of been ok. The lady's dog was one of those fu-fu lap dogs. It never left her side, till that night. It took off and was weeks later that someone contacted the police and reunited dog and owner.
I have done the jacket in crate myself and it really does work. The dogs don't want to be lost. They are working hard to retrace smell trail back to their owners.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:24 am

Glad everyone is okay. It's just a test. It does not make a dog just puts a ribbon on it. We missed ours entirely due to missing the first one and second nine being full well in advance. She'll age out before another test within 8 hrs and stinks, but oh well. We will just have to work harder towards the UT.