Not wanting an argument

Hotchkiss

Not wanting an argument

Post by Hotchkiss » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:47 am

I have some experience and success breeding horses and show cattle. I have not and do not plan on breeding dogs, but I do enjoy my hobby of studying pedigrees and breeding history. I watch the forum but don't post very often. I am wondering what some of the really good GSP breedings have been over the last five years. That does not mean they had to win one of the futurity events to be really good. I only go with GSP's because I have one and have some experience hunting with several others. I am also looking at AA, shooting dog and gun dog pedigrees. And, I may be looking to add a few dogs to my home as retirement gets closer :).

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Not wanting an argument

Post by cjhills » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 am

the problem is that really good is pretty much subjective. My idea of really good is likely very different than yours. Are we talking really good trial dogs, show dogs, hunting dogs or family dogs. So many things enter in to dog breeding that it is very hard to decide what is really good and even then how much is environment and training. Very few breeders who take it seriously are totally happy with any breeding and always try to do better.
One major factor is how the really good dogs reproduce themselves. Most do not.
The more I try the more I think lady luck is a major factor. If not we should be able to produce a whole litter of national champions. we can not.
But it is a interesting subject for discussion...........................Cj

Hotchkiss

Post by Hotchkiss » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 pm

True as to many points. First really good is subjective. I was refering to trial dogs and hunting dogs. I also agree that Lady Luck has a lot to do with it. But, in my experience with cattle and horses, at least 50 percent of the time they pass on what they have in terms of greatness. Now, in my humble opinion what screws the pooch so to speak is a weak link in the family tree a few generations back. It pops up when you least expect it. I also have seen a number of instances where true greatness is the product of a very strong link a few generations back and the other branches on the family tree are just average or above average.

JakeAndCash

Post by JakeAndCash » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I was and still am interested in finding out the lineage of my dog. I've been researching and found over 8 generations, dating as far back to 1959. The time I spent translating French and German websites to English is insane. However, I came up with a pretty detailed pedigree for my dog. It includes titles, championships, birthdates, etc.. I am currently working on finding pictures of all the dogs. Finding all this information leads me to believe I have a pretty sweet dog, however that's just me. I attached the pedigree below if you're interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:44 am

I would talk or contact Charlie Rose, he in my opinion knows his GSP's, has had success in several venue's of trialing, and knows what works with breeding's.
Just my Opinion!

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:58 am

It may be frowned upon to refer you to another forum, although If you have any interest in pointer lines there is a great pinned post called "the family tree" over on thefieldtrialer.com forum. That post is very informative. http://www.thefieldtrialer.com/forum/vi ... =12&t=2348

It is not GSP but it may satisfy your enjoying history needs.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 am

This topic is a never ending journey. Unless you are one of those unique individuals with the finances, skill and determination to devote years to the process ( think Bob Wehle ), it is very difficult to truly get your arms around it. Their are knowledgeable people that are not sold on Whele. My current feelings ( and that is evolving ) are that 40% of the dog comes from breeding and 60% comes from environment. Sort of like the movie, "Trading Places" :lol: