Seeking advice on transporting dog in back of truck

kdave21

Seeking advice on transporting dog in back of truck

Post by kdave21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:11 am

New (to me) truck owner. Been trying to problem solve how to best transport my dog. He's too big to fit in extended cab 04 F-150 with the passengers that will usually be with me so it will have to be the bed of the truck. Took him to the NA test in a wire crate with tarp covering most sides except for door in case it rained. This was a temporary solution and I need to come up with something better.

Even though I am concerned with the visibility of a topper (or canopy, or shell, depending on your location) I think it is probably the best option.

Two questions:

1. Do I need to worry about exhaust fumes coming up in the shell and poisoning my dog?? This possibility greatly concerns me, but am I being over cautious? Exhaust goes to the side of the truck if that matters. I know other people do this, seemingly without ill effect to the dog, but have read on the web that some people have heard about dogs dying this way. I don't know if this is urban legend or really true. I dont have any holes in the bed of the truck, everything is solid. It seems to me if you have good ventilation, side exhaust, etc, it should be fine

2. If not a topper, then what are other solutions? Kennel covers? Retractable covers are obviously not an option due to large size of kennel, hauling bikes, etc. Dog weighs 80lbs and is a big boy.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

mm

Re: Seeking advice on transporting dog in back of truck

Post by mm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:47 am

I have a cap on my pickup. If exhaust is good the fumes will go out the side or back of the truck and as you drive and go away. I always keep the sliding windows open for good venting. I also do not sit the truck at idle with dogs in back I think that is where you could have a problem with fumes gathering in cap.

My bigger problem with the cap is it gets way to hot in there in summer and I cant put them in it.
mm

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 am

Im looking to get a new to me truck and will put a cap on it. Not sure if your truck has this but im going to get one where the back window slides open on the truck and the corresponding window slides on the cap. Also the cap will have sliding windows on the side. soooo im hoping if I roll down the front windows with all the other windows there will be enough air flow when it is hot out and were driving. If were stopped for a long period of time I plan on opening the back window and tail gate.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:36 am

I think the more windows that open the better. Last summer while driving west it got way to hot in mine only the side windows slide open on it. I have a temp gauge to tell me the temp back there. Once it gets over 90 I had to put all the dogs in the cab all 4 of them. As I went down the road after by mid day it was 108 in the cap. That does not happen a lot but I was on a long trip so I had no choice but bring everyone in.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:59 am

The temp gauge is a good idea I was thinking about rigging something like that up when the time comes.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 am

I found that on amazon it is wireless and was only about $10
mm

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 am

I just use a plastic travel kennel in the back of a truck for my dogs. Strap the kennel down and add a cover when it is cold. They do fine.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 am

We had a cap on our truck for a couple of years, wire kennels back there, windows open and when really warm a 12v fan. When cold, a blanket over top of the crates to help hold their body heat in. We keep a wireless thermometer in our mid-tack with the dogs now. Works great, and keeps me from worrying about them.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:53 am

I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't you use a dog box, or airline type crate?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 am

You don't need to overthink this one.

As fishvik said a good plastic or metal crate, with GOOD, positive and ideally, lockable closures is all that is really necessary, most of the time.

I transported my dogs for many years and on occasion still do, winter and summer in a pickup with a fiberglass cap with not problems whatsoever. In each vehicle, I sealed up the drain vents in the pickup bed and covered the bed with a carpet remnant(Berber type wave works real well) that I cut to fit. If you seal the drain holes, the only place that exhaust fumes can enter the truckbed is at the bottom edge of the tailgate. I actually checked this out with a smoke generator on my first truck. I found that, when travelling there was a small mount(only a small amount) of suction right at the place where the bottom of the tailgate meets the truckbed. When idling in traffic there was no suction. There were two solutions. First you can make sure that the dogbox is set back from the tailgate three or four inches, or you can install carpeting that butts up against the tailgate, blocking the gap. Obviously, leaving the front slider of the cap, or even one of the side windows cracked open will also eliminate the possibility of exhaust fumes entering the compartment while travelling. Just remember to open the side opposite the exhaust( yeah I have done that one a few times).

If you have a slider in the rear window of your truck and a corresponding slider in your cap, they used to sell inflatable passthroughs. In the good old days, before the government got into the auto safety business with a vengeance, I had one of those for when we took a family trip. My young son could climb back into the truckbed(which was lined on the floor and both sides with foam bedding and pillows) and and play for hours, while we travelled. We did this many times over many hundreds of miles without incident. I don't know if they even make those things any more. That sort of arrangement would today be grounds for incarceration(and a big fine, which is the REAL goal) based on endangering the welfare of a minor or some other silly, intrusive nonsense. But I digress.

I do prefer the cap rrangement because it offers more protection from the sun, the wind and the road hazards flying around when you are driving at highway speeds. It also provides an extra level of security and protection from prying eyes, when leaving a dog in the vehicle at a hunting area or elsewhere.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 am

I use a bicycle tube between the cab and the topper mostly so I can heat the kennels from the cab when traveling in cold weather.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't you use a dog box, or airline type crate?
I may end up doing this if I can't find an affordable topper. But the dog is not the only consideration and that is why I am exploring all options. His crate is taller than rails of the bed so I currently have no way to cover the rest of my load.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks to all for the very thorough answers - this has been really helpful. It sounds like the key is to take a few simple precautions and monitor temps carefully, etc. thanks -

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:19 pm

If you want a used topper, check craigslist frequently. We bought a used one in perfect condition for $100, and had it painted to match the truck for $300.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 pm

If you want a used topper, check craigslist frequently. We bought a used one in perfect condition for $100, and had it painted to match the truck for $300.
Excellent idea, and thanks for the tip. I was wondering about this. My co-worker just bought a tonneau cover and did the exact same thing. I have not seen the results yet but it turned out good I think. I have only seen one used one for sale that matches my color, and it sold just a few days before I called. Repainting it might just be easier if I can get the right deal on the purchase price.

j.digiacomo

Post by j.digiacomo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm

good advice here. topper will be best bet. get as many sliding/opening window options you can on the caps. I'd recommend ARE, and Leer brand caps. painting is relatively cheap if you find the right deal. save yourself some money and take the windows out yourself also. just a bunch of 1/4" screws holding the window frames in. walmart sells a digital thermometer for around $9. I zip tied one into the bed and keep the display/readout in the cab. when it gets above 105 the dogs come in.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:46 pm

I use a dog crate with a cover, never had any problems.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Has anyone set up their topper so that they have fans blowing in air, or pushing air out? Our local k-9 officer has a fan in his back passenger side window which actually blows air out. He said that air movement is the key. Anybody have a set up they would like to share?

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 pm

2013_3_14_Truck Kennels_0036-2.jpg
2013_3_14_Truck Kennels_0037-2.jpg
2013_3_14_Truck Kennels_0038-2.jpg
I have the front slider window open during summer, and with side windows open the air really flows through there. Like other have stated, while parking a fan would be great. I chose to have long lift open side windows, so I could reach in and open kennels and let dogs out with out always crawling into bed of truck. Having short lift up sides towards the front with vented sliders towards the rear would be ideal. I have 8' bed so the kennels can sit in front of the wheel wells. A short bed, you will haft to cut out kennels or raise off floor. I have stakeout tubes up on the sides and all my check cords and water bottles and leads hanging on the kennel fronts. All I haft to put in truck to go hunting or training is dogs and my training/hunting tote on wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.