Quail Pen

Karen
GDF Junkie

Quail Pen

Post by Karen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 am

There's a guy a couple hours away from me selling his pen w/30 Tennessee Red Quail for $200. These are all mature birds, so I'm guessing that the chances of them recalling is pretty slim, but can I add a recall funnel to this pen? Cut the legs off, attach some plywood to the bottom, sit it on the ground, or close to the ground, add a recall funnel and use it as a recall pen? I've seen similar pens but haven't found plans for them.

There's an actual recall pen for sale an hour away from me. The guy is asking $350 (way too much), but it's more along the style I had planned to build. I can buy materials to build one for around $150, I can see spending a bit more since we won't have to go get the supplies and spend a day or 2 building it....time certainly is worth something.

I have a couple young dogs that I want to work on birds, an 11 week old pup that needs bird intro, and then two broke dogs that, up until now, I had no way of "fixing" what might have gotten broke at a trial.

Anyway, thoughts? Recommendations? All things being equal, go with the 30 Tennessee Reds or the green pen? Or neither?

mm

Re: Quail Pen

Post by mm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:49 am

Karen
I had both types and the tall one keeps the birds flying strong. I have a tall one Johnny house style with a shelf up high. The birds fly up on the shelf to look out and call and down to the bottom for food and water and this keeps wings strong and makes them fly good.

I keep it out on the front lawn at the end of my property and most people around here think its an outhouse.
mm

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 am

The 2nd guy got back to me. I was able to work a deal with him, so I'll have a quail pen on the property come Sunday evening! Now to find birds....

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 am

Zukovich game birds in Tamaqua. Not too far for you

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 am

Great! Thanks!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Karen-

FWIW -

TN Reds are EXCELLENT birds. They make a lot of noise when getting up, really puts a dog on its toes.

One Tn red is like flushing 2-3 bobs.

Also, if you can sex the reds, putting out only the females might work to get them to recall. I have had some success doing just that with my bobwhites. If you put out males and females, they apparently pair up this time of year and do not recall.

RayG

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:10 am

Karen, FWIW, it might be a good idea to disinfect the JH with diluted Clorox and putting fresh sand in it before placing new birds in it.
Quail are very suspect to catch diseases from other batches.

Good Luck!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 am

I was wondering if there was a good way to disinfect the pen..Thanks...And will do.

Heavytlc

Post by Heavytlc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:20 am

I use DC&R from Tractor supply. We clean the flight pen between batches of birds, incubators, brooders, all get sprayed with it.

I cant figure out how to post a link, but this is the copy of the description on the TSC website.

Use DC&R Disinfectant in livestock buildings, kennels and on livestock equipment.•Kills organisms on contact...keeps killing for up to 7 days after application
•Effective in both acid and alkaline pH range
•Non-corrosive
•Use in livestock buildings, kennels and on livestock equipment

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:15 am

Thanks! A trip to TSC is on my list this weekend. I'll see if I can find it.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:39 am

You might try to get some young unflown homing pigeons for that loft. I converted my quail pen that style and put an aviary on it. Works great now for homers.

I like pigeons for my young dog training. You dont have to worry as much about them not flying and getting caught by the dog. I actually keep both in 2 pens, but for young dogs, I will go with pigeons. You can use them over and over again. Leave them in the pen for a week, and then let them free fly. They will home well after that. 10 pigeons will work for working 5 dogs on 2 birds each when you train. Birds will be back in before you get done with the next dog.

Just my unsolicited .02! :D