Pigeon Coop question

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Pigeon Coop question

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:32 am

The last two babies I have had, when they first fly down, a bigger bird scalps their head, both have healed up real good but I have another fixing to fly down & dont want it to happen to him. Is this because it over crowded or just a dominance thing? I am letting them all fly at lunchtime everyday now & leaving them to do as they please until dark when I go shut the trap door, I'm hoping that will help, since basically now they only sleep in coop, maybe they wont do this? My coop is 4'x4' x8' tall and I have 20 birds in it. Fixing to double it, when I do, should I build it so I have two separate areas? I really didn't want to do that if I dont have to. Would rather them all be in one coop if possible. I started with only six adults & now have 20 but this head scalping thing just started. I have more than enough perches for all of them. Any advise?

Gordon Guy

Re: Pigeon Coop question

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm interested in the response, as this also has been happening with my birds. Most of mine haven't been lucky enough to live through it. My pen is 10' by 14' X 6' high, I only have 13 birds in that pen, but the nesting area as quite small, only 2 X 2 X 4. It seems as though the babies leave the nest and enter the area of other birds nesting. ????

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 pm

I'm no expert, but I think that you have a couple of things going on. First of all, you may very well have a bully in the group that needs to be culled. Secondly, your coop is over crowded. The common rule is 2 square feet of floor space per bird. 4 x 4 = 16 square feet, or room for 8 birds.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 pm

I have had some get beat up when they can't quite make it up to the nest box they were born in. it seems the first couple of weeks they like to go back home and visit the folks.

I think too having a few more perches than birds, is never a bad thing and will help when the koop gets a bit crowded.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:42 pm

8 Birds?? No freaking way.

drw10

Post by drw10 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:47 pm

you might try building something for them to get away from the older birds. you can make something about 4 to 6 inches off the floor that they can get under and away from the old birds that helps a lot. 2x2 or 2x4s 4 to 6" long and nail it to a piece of plywood on each corner. nothing fancy it works

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Yes that is too many in that size coop if you are going to let them breed. I have the same size coop and 12 seems about right. I have had as many as 24 due to birds being given to me and the same thing happened. I just had a pair of babies in the coop with 10 and while they got chased away and pecked, they did not get beat up like it was when it was overcrowded.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:07 pm

The pigeons are territorial, especially during mating and nesting time. A little bird hits the floor and has no place to go in a small loft like that. Something they can get under will help. Less birds in that size coop will make a big difference also. The two square feet figure is about accurate. Remember when building a loft spend your money on length and width and not on height. I have a loft that is 20 by 8 and one that is 30 by 12 plus an 8 by 16. The 8 by 16 houses the breeders, the 20 by 8 houses the young birds and the 30 by 14 house the race team and some extra birds I have. All together there may be 100 to 150 birds most of the time but we still have to be careful during the nesting season with everyone having a place of their own.

Ezzy

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 am

I guess it's time to do some training. Thanks for the responses.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 pm

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:8 Birds?? No freaking way.

You can also attach an avery to your 4' x 4' and it will help.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I know a lot of guy's use 4x4 loft's but I can't figure out why. A 6x6 wouldn't cost that much more and when your inside, you have room to move a little. I've got two, a 12x12 and an 8x16.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 am

CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:The last two babies I have had, when they first fly down, a bigger bird scalps their head.....Any advise?
1) Shoot some...particularly the offending older bird.

2) Increase loft space

3) Fret less....they are just pigeons, that inter-pigeon response happens.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 am

Mountaineer wrote:
CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:The last two babies I have had, when they first fly down, a bigger bird scalps their head.....Any advise?
1) Shoot some...particularly the offending older bird.

2) Increase loft space

And explain to us which animals deserve to be cared for and which don't? I don't know where to draw the line. Just pigeons, just dogs, just kids? I have heard the expression it is a fine line and I am beginning to see that but just not sure where the fine line should be drawn.

I have explained to my kids ANY animal you have lost their ability to care for themselves due to captivity, you have also taken the responsibility to care for them, to the very best of your ability. When you create a problem you also have to solve it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:09 am

Well...widening my comment to include all situations and all animals, companion and not, or even to include children would be a stretch :roll: and, as concerns "kids", more than a mite offensive by implication.
I noted the offending pigeon as, perhaps, dat pigeon finds some pleasure in picking and pecking away at others....I suspect that attitude is not only related to the pigeon family. :idea:
I do maintain that the loss of that particular pigeon relates to nothing more than perch space and peace in the loft which, to me, goes to the OP's original query...and, maybe, to responsibility beyond one pigeon.
If "solving it" does not include using that bird as a shooter then xtra or increased loft space could be an option....depends upon the OP's financial or physical particulars.

If you wish to enlarge the OP's mention to include the plight of children around the world, the tool-like treatment of some birddogs, or, even why raptors never get a break from simply being raptors then you might find someone to "explain" it.....but, it won't be me as I don't understand the thinking that relates to any of those three.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 am

I noticed your response, which I find little fault with, did not mention your earlier comment that I was referring to.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:27 am

ezzy333 wrote:I noticed your response, which I find little fault with, did not mention your earlier comment that I was referring to.

If you mean...the "they are just pigeons" mention then no, I did not use the quote feature for my, or for your, previous post...I saw no need.
I understood what you meant re the pigeons as you used the word "just" :idea: ....but, I did not understand why you included "just dogs" and, especially, "just kids" in your response.
As stated, the later was especially....both odd and a mite offensive by implication.

When I first read your post following mine your last two sentences were not posted.
Those sentences were odd as well in that I saw nothing in the OP's post that any pigeon had "lost the ability to care for itself due to captivity"....I doubt the young pigeon at point ever had the ability to care for itself to a certain degree...due to it's age and the nature of dominance that can be present in a loft.
Kinda, sorta what young pigeons can be exposed to, in a crowded loft....or, with crawdads in a bucket, I reckon.

As to solutions, most problems have them but the costs of all manner and the reality for any individual as regards any solution does normally enter into the equation for most of us.
"Fret less"...also carries a certain level of meaning that fretting is normally present with any action we take...or should be.
At the end though, a pigeon used in dog training and with all that can entail amongst folks considered normal, can reasonably be tied to the word "just" without worry about too much shame, to me, and.....that tie does not automatically imply poor treatment, a lack of respect or inconsideration of Life or, a life, or any other negative that one can state to widen a comment for effect.

I used the quote feature this time...hope it helps.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:53 am

If you mean...the "they are just pigeons" mention then no, I did not use the quote feature for my, or for your, previous post...I saw no need.
I understood what you meant re the pigeons as you used the word "just" :idea: ....but, I did not understand why you included "just dogs" and, especially, "just kids" in your response.
As stated, the later was especially....both odd and a mite offensive by implication.
I agree it may be offensive but true, as history continues to point out that people's reaction and actions towards animals seem to carry over to children. That was all I meant. I do disagree with your explanation of fret, since my concept is if you are fretting about it do something to correct the situation. A bird, a dog, or a child are all are responsibility when we keep them in our care.

OK this all being said we have spent way to much time on this. HAVE A GOOD DAY, and treat all of God's creatures humanely and not as just a bird or animal.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Ditto to the later.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 pm

[/quote] OK this all being said we have spent way to much time on this. HAVE A GOOD DAY, and treat all of God's creatures humanely and not as just a bird or animal.[/quote]

Well said, I agree. To me it's called animal husbandry.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:51 am

P&PGunsmith wrote:
CCBIRDDOGMAN wrote:8 Birds?? No freaking way.

You can also attach an avery to your 4' x 4' and it will help.
Under the front window I did add a 3'x2' aviary after that pic was taken.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 am

My pigeon coop is 8x8x8 and I had the same problem with the small birds being pecked on the their head. I found a product at the local feed store made for chickens to keep them from pecking each other. I put a few drops on the young pigeons heads and the problem went away.