What to do now??

natel24

What to do now??

Post by natel24 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 am

So i got off work this morning and decided to do some bird work with the puppy. I went out to the pigeon loft and there is two eggs sitting on the floor?! I just used to buy pigeons for two bucks a piece in the past when i needed them, so this is my first time housing them. The loft I built doesn't have nesting boxes, do i need to build a couple and put them in? Or just set the eggs in a shoe box with some hay? I wasn't really expecting this part. The loft is about 4'x4'x6'. The eggs were layed in the last 24hrs. I have no idea if the pigeons are male or female or what ratio I have, I have about 10 pigeons in there at any time and they all were given to me after being trapped at my work. Thanks in advance.

Picture below of 4 month old Gibby retrieving the bird that was shot over him this morning. He's a retrieving fool, ejected the shotgun shell, threw it in the tall grass and he brought it back too. (he's been amazing so far) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: What to do now??

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Put in a few nesting box's and you should never have to buy pigeon's again. In fact you might have to sell some! Nest could be pretty much anything. I have some that is just a row of box's with one top, floor and back. I hung old t-shirts over the front a while back. Birds seem to like privacy. I have a very old square plastic bucket laying on the floor of my homer loft that has raised a bunch of young one's. Had a bucket of straw under one set of box's that a bird got into and had young ones, That bucket has been replaced with a taller one! The box's over that bucket, four holes, three I fixed up foe nest's and in the last one I put waterers and feeders I wasn't using. Birds went in and made a nest behind the stuff! raising pigeons is not rocket science. I think if you set a carton a refridger come's in out back and rigged up an entry hole, you could get them to live in it.