Aviary or not...

CTPaul

Aviary or not...

Post by CTPaul » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:55 am

What is the general consensus on whether or not I should put an aviary on the front of the new pigeon loft? I twisted my best friends arm and he is allowing me to put the loft in his yard as I cannot have one per local regulations. I'm going to use the LCS plans but was curious what the point of the aviary is and if I should put one on.

CDN_Cocker

Re: Aviary or not...

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:33 am

I can't imagine having a loft without a fly pen. Definitely yes.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm under the assumption tge aviary is the small wire cage hanging off the front or side if the loft. Perhaps that's the wrong terminology. What is the point of the cage on the outside? I've seen feeders in there so is this just a separate space for feeding and sun?

natel24

Post by natel24 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:12 pm

the loft i just built a few months ago cost me about 80$ to build (had some materials laying around). i put a trap door and a aviary? on the side that faces the sun, whenever i go outside a few of them are always sun bathing. i always put a little feed on the ledge outside the trap door and have gained a few pigeons because of that. i also made it so the floor can slide out for cleaning, thats a life saver, theres chicken wire below it so they cant get out. Didn't use any plans just looked at pictures online and it has worked well so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Allows the birds to sunbathe and increases airflow through the loft keeping the birds healthier and keeping the loft drier.

They love it. And likely you'll have healthier birds too.

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 am

The aviary/flying pen portion is handy for me to put their water in. It seems like whenever I put it on the floor of the coop they knock it over, poop in it, get feed in it, etc. I leave the food in the coop because they clean up whatever spills and if I didn't, the chickens would just live underneath the aviary.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:21 pm

That loft with the removable floor for cleaning is a pretty good idea. mine doesn't have that but I do have removeable floors in most the nest box's, makes for easy cleaning. I have room to stand and walk around well in my loft's. The feral loft is 12'x12'. Both about 8' head room.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Many good reasons have been noted...as well, I believe the aviary can aid in recall with young birds....kinda, sorta along a toller principle, with some birds questioning the wisdom of that big wooden box.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Aiding recall isn't necessary. I have never had to do that. Don't run young birds out. Open the bobs and let them come and go for awhile. If you have an aviary and use it to teach them to push the bob's up there's no problem. Where people get into trouble getting birds back is by pushing them out to soon and to fast. Young birds going on their own normally won't fly off at first. they go out on the landing board and look around. After that it's just a few short filght's on their own and ya got them!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 pm

well....oh, never mind.