Fireworks

Benjammin

Fireworks

Post by Benjammin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Soo why can you shoot over a dag all day long then a fire work goes off and he gets scared and all he wants to do is get in the house?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Fireworks

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:27 pm

There's no bird connected with the noise. A bird makes almost any noise acceptable.:)

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:50 pm

I always heard it is the pitch of the sound. It don't sound like a shotgun

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Sharon wrote:There's no bird connected with the noise. A bird makes almost any noise acceptable.:)

+1. That's always been my theory.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:53 pm

If a dog is shy to fireworks and thunder clap its a good chance he will be shy to gunfire unless its properly introduced to the gun , IMO

welsh

Post by welsh » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Soarer31 wrote:If a dog is shy to fireworks and thunder clap its a good chance he will be shy to gunfire unless its properly introduced to the gun , IMO
On the other hand, a dog may become shy to fireworks and thunder after being successfully introduced to the gun.

I have recently been working with dropping to shot with a dog that has been getting sloppy, with three hunting seasons under her belt. No gun-shyness there, but when I let off a dollar-store cap pistol, working in the yard with dummies, she was terrified of it. It sounds nothing like a shotgun, and there are no birds involved, so....

Dogs can be predisposed to fear of noises, but they can also just be plain weird with this stuff.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

He is not shy of guns at all he becomes ecstatic when i pull a gun out but if a fire work goes off he grows wings and flys over my 6 ft wood fence. Which makes it so I can't leave him outside when we are gone. He jumps the fence and goes to the front door and the second you let him in he runs straight to his safe spot his kennel :D I have in the past few years sat out in the yard with him when they are goin off to try to show him they will not hurt him but that didn't matter :cry: .. Just don't know what to do dont want him scared out of his mind..

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:11 pm

Or get out when we are not home!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Remember the dog is much more sensitive to different noises and vibrations than we are. The shotgun is very controlled in comparison to an aerial explosion such as fireworks or thunder. A rifle is much worse than a shotgun for most dogs.

Ezzy

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/fireworks.html
Great article on Fireworks and dogs.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 pm

If you try and console or coddle the dog to make him feel better you actually reinforce the fear, ignore him.

That said my 8 year old with 1000's of birds shot over him hates fireworks and thunder. He will also shiver and act scared if he's made to sit, in or out of his box and listen to constant shooting.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Remember the dog is much more sensitive to different noises and vibrations than we are. The shotgun is very controlled in comparison to an aerial explosion such as fireworks or thunder. A rifle is much worse than a shotgun for most dogs.

Ezzy
This nails it! They are totally different sounds to the dog. Some dogs are just very sensitive to certain noises and then there are a lot of dogs that are not bothered by any of it.

Charlie

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:41 am

Fireworks and Thunder- Have to take to them up on the mountain to watch the fireworks. Nothing else bothers them. And it is certainly one more than the other.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Thanks yal!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:56 am

Soarer31 wrote:If a dog is shy to fireworks and thunder clap its a good chance he will be shy to gunfire unless its properly introduced to the gun , IMO
Not true at all. The first dog ever to achieve the AKC title of Master Hunter Advanced is scared to death of thunder but loves the gun. ..You cant have 13 legs of MH and 19 FT placements and be gun shy. Thunder or fireworks have no positive association.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 am

I've had two GSP's and an EP that are terrified of fireworks and storms. All three are absolute dreams to hunt behind - they love the gun. Love to retrieve and show no other sound sensitivities (air guns, neighbor's impromptu shooting sessions with his AR buddies, heavy equipment). I guess it's different with each dog. I personally HATE the noise of fireworks but love a good crack of thunder.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:05 pm

ive got two eps that could care less in fact they hear the fireworks and are ready to go find the birds then ive got two that arent so sure but the two that have no fear have tons of experience and are super confident the two that are shy to them are younger less experience so i think age and experience are more of a factor. i also think under experience i think the more you show them in their world and they have no negative experience associated with those things the more comfortable they will be with new things.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Your points are well taken but make no mistake about dogs fearing fireworks and it doesn't get better with age or experience.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Your points are well taken but make no mistake about dogs fearing fireworks and it doesn't get better with age or experience.

are you making a general statement or telling me that my dogs are scarred of fireworks?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:56 pm

quote="drich2244"]
ezzy333 wrote:Your points are well taken but make no mistake about dogs fearing fireworks and it doesn't get better with age or experience.

are you making a general statement or telling me that my dogs are scarred of fireworks?[/quote]
so i think age and experience are more of a factor.
[

welsh

Post by welsh » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm

In fact, fear of thunder, fireworks, and so on tends to increase with age.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:11 pm

maybe so but my older pointer couldnt have cared less i dare say he enjoyed them the fireworkswe wathced the other night no shivers no shakes no whining he sat there and looked at them

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:08 pm

One of my GSP's was afraid of fireworks and thunder until the day he died. If a dog is afraid of these things, it will not get better with age. For what ever reason, it bothers some dogs and some it doesn't. Nothing to do with age or experience.

Charlie

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:25 am

https://www.purina.com/dogs/behavior-an ... hould-know

I wonder if anyone has ever told you guys this? you guys sound a lot like an echo?

One of my favorite sayings of all time is "once their mind is made up, don't confuse them with the facts"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

drich2244 wrote:https://www.purina.com/dogs/behavior-an ... hould-know

I wonder if anyone has ever told you guys this? you guys sound a lot like an echo?

One of my favorite sayings of all time is "once their mind is made up, don't confuse them with the facts"
When one protest too loud you begin to question why. Read your link and it says what most of us have learned through experience and pretty much told you except we didn't go into the training from the time a puppy is very young that might help but the question still arises "is it worth the time and effort". For you see, time is pretty well used up training for things that make a real difference. If you want to spend many hours, I agree you can help but am not sure you will ever correct most dogs.

One thing you will find is many people on here have been training and hunting dogs for decaded and what they are relating is what they have found to be true and not just reciting something they read in a an article some where. Broken record, yep, comes from experience and it doesn't change no matter how many things you hear and read.

Ezzy