Which pointing breed fits my needs?

mnaj_springer

Which pointing breed fits my needs?

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:20 pm

So far I've only had Springers, which I love, but there are places in the northern MN woods that are hard to work a flusher... So all you pointer folks out there... Help me find the right dog please....

I need a dog that is biddable, has a ton of desire, natural retrieving ability (although it only needs to be for upland), and works at about 100 yards in the woods, but will run around 200 in the open... Also, I live in Minnesota, so late season hunts can be cold...

Thanks for all your help in advance!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Which pointing breed fits my needs?

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 pm

A GSP or an English Setter. Maybe a Llewellin Setter. No matter which breed you pick, you need to research the line carefully to be sure you're getting the distance dog you want. There are some very close working GSP and Setters, and some half mile dogs. Search your NAVHDA chapters in the area and see a training day with those folks - many of them seem to test dogs that are closer working (in general).

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Brittany.....even tho I prefer some of the setters and, your yardages strictures are silly.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Setter, English/Llew, or maybe Gordon.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Brittany.....even tho I prefer some of the setters and, your yardages strictures are silly.
Silly how? That's what I ideally want. How can that be silly?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:01 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Brittany.....even tho I prefer some of the setters and, your yardages strictures are silly.
I have a Drahthaar and those are the ranges she works. Great retrievers, great cold weather dogs, easy maintanance, great family dogs.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:47 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
Pup should work the cover and the birds...not referencing yardage markers set by the hunter because it feels comfortable or fits some imagined or perceived ideal of the hunter.....imho.
Something wrong with 50 yards or 350 yards...anywhere? Trust be good.
Setting too strong a standard could develop frustration in hunter and dog, maybe result in an overuse of the whistle or hack and quite possibly will illustrate a poor estimation of range.
"Ideally"......seldom is, in a practical measure of reality.
Plus, if you have only had flushers and never had a pointing dog then how in the world do you know what range is ideal?

Whether pup is trained to hold points and all the rest of the prerequisite training is reinforced by consistency is another matter entire.
As well, those ranges are also pretty common as a very practical matter for hunting birddogs...short of flushers or big country trial dogs needing to do each of their thing as it pops up.
Again, imho.

Brittany, deux....and do not be in a hurry to purchase.
I would also suggest a started pointing dog but expect that would be pshawed as well
Irregardless, as they say around here...good luck and have fun.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:
I have a Drahthaar and those are the ranges she works. Great retrievers, great cold weather dogs, easy maintanance, great family dogs.

Certainly, as I earlier noted...so do many plain ole birddogs we all have kenneled.
Setting the ranges is silly not that those distances is not where most of the dogs will end up working in much of today's cover and opportunities.
There are exceptions...as in everything.

I still expect a Britt would serve the fella best but.....no breed defines best so.....his journey begins.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:04 am

I suggest one of the setter breeds: English, Red or Gordon. For Gordons check out Clearcut or Wyndancer there in MN. In my experience the black color helps them hunt colder temps when other dogs have given up.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am

Any properly trained pointing breed will work just fine, I agree your range requirements are silly. I have hunted your country with horseback All-Age winners, they adjust. Buy a bell or GPS and let the dog hunt.

Neil

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for all the input. There are a few things I'd like to say... First of all, I've only raised Springers, but I've hunted over pointers so yes I do have an idea of what was a comfortable range for me. Secondly, I would never expect a dog to always stay at the distance I want? No. I realize the dog must hunt, but I prefer the 100 to 150 yards because I hunt some thick stuff and walking that distance in that terrain may take an hour... Oh, and you may have hunted horseback in MN, but being raised with horses, I know you couldn't have where I hunt.

Thanks again! I'll be looking into some setters.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 am

All ruffed grouse hunters hunt thick stuff at some part of the day....anywhere.
But, an hour to traverse 100 yards.....color me doubtful on all but the odd occurrence, based on 50 years hunting the bird in a number of areas both steep and thick.

I don't believe the previous poster said he hunted on horseback.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 am

I don't hunt grouse/Woodcock from horseback, that is silly.

I was making the point, dogs can be trained to handle, no matter the breed or line. You really need to go to a cover dog trial to see just how big a dog can run, yet successfully handle grouse. They hunt just inside bell range in some extremely thick cover.

But hey, get the dog you want and train it the way you want.

Oh, I will tell you when the cover is really tight with good bird populations I have better success with my Boykins. The pointing dogs shine when the birds are scarce.

Wish you good hunting.

Angus

Post by Angus » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Setters are great. I love my little guy. With that said, I am currently looking for a versatile dog do to a number of reasons.

In my time (which is not that long) with hunting dogs of different breeds, The main thing I have noticed, is that there may be more difference within a breed, than between breeds. In the Setter world, there are more differences than other breeds. For your requirements I would suggest Ryman lines of setters.

So with that said, make sure you go to a NAVHDA training/testing, or two, to see dogs work. You may like how a certain GSP checks in, or the range and retrieving ability of a big spinone, or pointing lab. Ask the dogs owners questions.

Buy the breeder, not the breed.

Watch the parent dogs hunt. Most likely your new pup will hunt like them.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:45 pm

I live and hunt in montana make no mistake about it English Pointers can handle the cold just fine! now granted you get em really wet they will get cold quicker than the rest i just carry a towel with me dry em off.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 pm

If I didn't have a cocker I think I would go with a setter.

jwyoung97838

Post by jwyoung97838 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 pm

I've loved all 3 of my GSP's but I've never had a dog like the Llewellin Setter I have right now. I'm fortunate to live in an area that I can hunt several species all in a reasonable distance and "Patch' my setter can roll right from heavy cover pheasant work to Ag field's for Hun's. He is dynamite on big ridge Chukar hunting. Best of all he's as good of companion in the house as he is in the field.