wild 4 mo GWP

powbass@gmail.com

wild 4 mo GWP

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I don't recall my last GWP being this wild. I think I might need a blood transfusion if I keep messing around with this pup. He either scratches or nicks me with his teeth when I put a lead on him. my knee is about worn out from keeping him from jumping on me. He jumps up onto the training table and will whoa for a few moments. this is the only time I can get my hand on him.So far I have been using the good boy system, no treats. Maybe treats will cause him to want treats instead of playing. I have been letting him pull a 15 ft lead while doing his daily running around the golf course rough, doesn't slow him down
I have given him the shake treatment to try and let him know who is boss. Any ideas. Probably going to fast with his development

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: wild 4 mo GWP

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 pm

4 months old - needs more exercise . Find a place where the dog can run off leash safely for .. an hour every day? Continue to be consistent with no nibbling, no jumping up.I would be getting tougher on that. :)

"I don't recall my last ..........being this wild. " Every time I get a new pup I say that. I think we have short memories. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Yup, more exercise.

I have a 4 month old Brittany pup.....he's loose with the gang (5 others ranging in age from almost 3 to 10 yrs old) all day, and by the time we get home, all he wants to do is eat, cuddle and sleep. It's a wonderful thing!

Boolywooger

Post by Boolywooger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:28 pm

If you can find someone with a pup around the same age get together and let the two pups wrestle for a while. I've been taking my 4 month Brittany to the local dog park and going into the small dog section and letting him learn how to deal with the crotchety old "chi hoo ah hoo ahs" and making friends with the others. Two nights ago he wrestled with basset hound of around 1 year for about 45 minutes, then a corgi of around 1 year showed up and he wrestled with him another 45. He had a great time, but slept almost all the next day. I am also working hard on curbing the nipping and jumping. Making some progress. One thing I'm doing (sorry if this grosses anyone out) is licking the palm of my hand and putting it in front of his nose and saying "give me kisses". He will always start licking the palm. Basically I'm trying to get him to lick instead of nip. I know a lot of people do the same thing with frozen butter, but I always have saliva handy.

Bluesky2012

wild 4 mo GWP

Post by Bluesky2012 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 am

Boolywooger wrote:If you can find someone with a pup around the same age get together and let the two pups wrestle for a while. I've been taking my 4 month Brittany to the local dog park and going into the small dog section and letting him learn how to deal with the crotchety old "chi hoo ah hoo ahs" and making friends with the others. Two nights ago he wrestled with basset hound of around 1 year for about 45 minutes, then a corgi of around 1 year showed up and he wrestled with him another 45. He had a great time, but slept almost all the next day. I am also working hard on curbing the nipping and jumping. Making some progress. One thing I'm doing (sorry if this grosses anyone out) is licking the palm of my hand and putting it in front of his nose and saying "give me kisses". He will always start licking the palm. Basically I'm trying to get him to lick instead of nip. I know a lot of people do the same thing with frozen butter, but I always have saliva handy.
That's gross and why would you ever do that?