wife wants to help train birddog- issues?

Oldtowneben

Post by Oldtowneben » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Help- I have a brand new Brittany on the way with great breeding, both AKC and NSTRA HOF lines.
Been studying my Huntsmith videos in preparation.
Wife looks over my shoulder and says- do "WE" need to get a training table?
Oops- togetherness is great, but what happens if while I am at work she starts ,
whoa-ing and here-ing and no-ing my new pup?

can a puppy learn from two alpha adults in the house?

our grown Brittany, who was trained by me with some pro help, will whoa and here for me, but not for her.
we did not have this issue the first time around ( I am the hunter and handler for gun related activities).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: wife wants to help train birddog- issues?

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:53 am

You are so lucky to have someone that will help with out even paying her. What more could you ask for when most people would have to send the dog to a pro for what you are getting free.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 am

This is a very good thing. My wife has always been involved, particularly with early development. The dogs are all better behaved with her, as are children. I am the fun one, she the disciplinarian. You are lucky.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 am

Oh but the well intentioned but uneducated (with dog training) wife can be a challenge. It's one that I have not solved. But I like my wife so I keep her around. Good luck and just keep the lines of communication open.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:49 am

The only issue I see is if you can't handle her being better then you at it :D
We both trained our dogs until my husbands job changed then I did most of it. I also ran them in their test and for our male some field trials.
We both hunt them with no problems.

RickB

Post by RickB » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:55 am

I do not like a dog learning the same command from two different trainers. I fear the subtle differences and expectation differences can confuse the dog. Here are some things that I have done to work around this:

1) Give certain commands to the wife. Have her solely responsible for teaching commands A through C and you are responsible for commands D through F. when a command is well understood, have wife show you how it is done, and you show wife how your commands are done.

2) Teach the same behavior with two commands in two ways: "house acceptable" and "field acceptable". Take "whoa" for instance. Teach a house whoa...maybe call it "stay". If the dog is a little jiggy, not a big deal. Both you and wife work together on this. Then there is field whoa. Called "Whoa". This is for field work only and a high level of compliance is required.

Just some thoughts. YMMV.

Rick

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Neil wrote:This is a very good thing. My wife has always been involved, particularly with early development. The dogs are all better behaved with her, as are children. I am the fun one, she the disciplinarian. You are lucky.

+1

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:17 pm

You're kidding, right? :lol: I wonder if you're thinking your wife can feed 'your' dog, clean up its messes, run it to the vet, bathe and brush it, administer any meds, let it in and out a million times a day, clean its crate and wash the bedding, housebreak it, make the dogfood runs, and not allow it to chew up your shoes, though, right? :lol:

Watch the videos together so you're on the same page. Discuss the techniques. Small differences in technique won't make a difference unless the dog has a really low IQ. If one of you doesn't like a certain phase of training, for instance the whoa post or force fetch, leave that person out of it, and let them do or help with another phase.

Look around some of the other gundog/hunting dog forums and see how many guys are moaning because their dogs are not allowed in the house, the wife resents every dime spent on the dog, and hates that the dog gets the attention that she thinks should be focused on her.

Count yourself lucky. And have fun with both wife and pup!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm

deleted
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldtowneben

Post by Oldtowneben » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:16 pm

This was great. I have lurked on this forum for a year or so, learning much from the variety of experiences and personalities represented.
thought I would try my hand at a little sardonic humor. all responses given were super.
we males need a re-calibration ever now and then.
yes- she took the dogs to the vet this week for annual check-up and bought their food and gave 'em their tick and heartworm meds.
I do think "we' may be getting a training table and "we" will be watching the new videos just ordered from
Perfection Kennel ( of which I learned from this forum).
thanks for playing.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:17 pm

It is a good thing, as long as she is on the same page as you. Other wise, it could be a problem. :wink:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm

Oldtowneben wrote:This was great. I have lurked on this forum for a year or so, learning much from the variety of experiences and personalities represented.
thought I would try my hand at a little sardonic humor. all responses given were super.
yes- she took the dogs to the vet this week for annual check-up and bought their food and gave 'em their tick and heartworm meds.
I do think "we' may be getting a training table and "we" will be watching the new videos just ordered from
thanks for playing.
I am not keen on unwittingly playing games, and when I need calibration I will consult a professional. You may have a hard time getting responses after this stunt, social experiment, or whatever it was. But I wish you well if any of your post was true.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Neil wrote:
Oldtowneben wrote:This was great. I have lurked on this forum for a year or so, learning much from the variety of experiences and personalities represented.
thanks for playing.
I am not keen on unwittingly playing games, and when I need calibration I will consult a professional. You may have a hard time getting responses after this stunt, social experiment, or whatever it was. But I wish you well if any of your post was true.
My thoughts exactly but I also wonder if you are just trying to cover wht you thought would be popular with people on the board.

GunDogAdventures

Post by GunDogAdventures » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm

I second the "consider yourself lucky" mindset. But on a more serious note for new owner/trainers, I would suggest making sure multiple trainers (family members) maintain a consistency of verbal clues, hand/body signals, as well as rewards - for the dog's benefit. I also share those cues with friends or neighbors that might want to play "fetch" or have my dogs stay "down" or "heel" thinking, that the variety helps the dogs understand. I've heard of dogs that have a "relationship" so close that they won't hunt for others. I want my dog to behave or hunt well for me or for whomever else might handle them. How would your dog work with another hunter in the field?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Ezzy,

I don't strive for popular, I do try to be respectful and ask for the same in return. It was not my intent to offend the OP, just explain my disapproval.

If I have inadvertently offended him or the community I will sincerely apologize for not choosing my words with more care.

Neil

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 pm

??? Didn't offend me. I felt the same way - annoyed!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Sharon wrote:??? Didn't offend me. I felt the same way - annoyed!
And I think I should have just wrote that I was annoyed and not been so wordy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Neil wrote:
What you said was right on and my other comment was directed at the OP, not you.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:01 am

oldtowneben -

just wanted to chime in with my experiences on the subject.

My wife does not train my dogs. Never has...never will. She does not wish to and I am fine with that. She has carved out her own niche for herself with the animals. Let'sjust say her nickname is "THE SPOILER". She is the one who gives them treats, she is the one who just lets them loose in the yard from their kennels, she is the one who gives them ice cubes in the summer. When I scold them for doing something they should not...she is the one they go to for "protection". Those behaviors include the horses as well. If one of them decides not to ground tie and leaves me high and dry...I can bet that when I get back to the trailer, the horse is there and will be standing behind her, looking out at me from behind her. it is absolutely comical in perspective. Here is this thousand pound 15 2 hand horse standing behind a five foot four lady, trying to hide itself and peeking out from behind her with its head low. One cannot help but laugh. The flip side of this is when I cannot catch one of the horses. She will come out to the pasture, call the horse and it will come right to her...every single time. She does not ride, so the horse knows it is coming in for a treat. It used to aggravate me until I got over it. Now I laugh.

It is all pretty funny actually and the interactions are reasonably healthy. About the only scolding she will do to the dogs is to yell and smack them when they jump up on her because she is...carrying treats. With the horses, she will put here arms up with hands extended and the horse will walk right in and put its head and neck over her shoulder so she can give it a hug. If I tried that without a bucket of grain in my hand, the horse would turn, bolt and leave in a cloud of dust.

My wife does actually help with one aspect of the dog's training. I use two checkcords, two persons on opposite sides of each other and treats to teach a puppy to "come". Calling the puppy first to ne person and giving a treat, then to the other person...and another treat... seems to work vey well to get the puppy coming to you with enthusiasm. Since there are treats involved, my wife is perfectly willing to do that part of the puppy training.

I guess what I am getting at is that any help, any involvement by one's spouse or significant other can be very positive and healthy, but that, as always, especially when working with dogs, it is most important to keep your ego in check and maintain a healthy sense of humor.

RayG

P.S -
Geeze - Just re-read this before posting and realized that there were portions where I was actually being sensitive and politically correct. I really need to cut that stuff out. :lol: :lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Neil wrote:
What you said was right on and my other comment was directed at the OP, not you.
Still, after the guy claimed to lurk for a year, we don't want to run him off. He might contribute, seems smart enough.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Sign up for a PK clinic once you've decided you like the training system. Bring your wife. Lots of couples there when I've taken classes - and they do allow both people to work with the dog if that's what's going to happen at home. As a wife who occasionally allows my husband to help - I know what you're talking about as far as inconsistent training. However, I feel that it's worth it in the long run to have him feeling as though he's a part of the process, even if he doesn't do it exactly the way I would. The dogs are resilient and they will come through it o.k. Just try to get on the same page as much as possible and try not to micro-manage her as she helps you.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 am

RayGubernat wrote:oldtowneben -

My wife does not train my dogs. Never has...never will. She does not wish to and I am fine with that. She has carved out her own niche for herself with the animals. Let'sjust say her nickname is "THE SPOILER". She is the one who gives them treats, she is the one who just lets them loose in the yard from their kennels, she is the one who gives them ice cubes in the summer. When I scold them for doing something they should not...she is the one they go to for "protection". Those behaviors include the horses as well. If one of them decides not to ground tie and leaves me high and dry...I can bet that when I get back to the trailer, the horse is there and will be standing behind her, looking out at me from behind her. it is absolutely comical in perspective. Here is this thousand pound 15 2 hand horse standing behind a five foot four lady, trying to hide itself and peeking out from behind her with its head low. One cannot help but laugh. The flip side of this is when I cannot catch one of the horses. She will come out to the pasture, call the horse and it will come right to her...every single time. She does not ride, so the horse knows it is coming in for a treat. It used to aggravate me until I got over it. Now I laugh.

It is all pretty funny actually and the interactions are reasonably healthy. About the only scolding she will do to the dogs is to yell and smack them when they jump up on her because she is...carrying treats. With the horses, she will put here arms up with hands extended and the horse will walk right in and put its head and neck over her shoulder so she can give it a hug. If I tried that without a bucket of grain in my hand, the horse would turn, bolt and leave in a cloud of dust.

My wife does actually help with one aspect of the dog's training. I use two checkcords, two persons on opposite sides of each other and treats to teach a puppy to "come". Calling the puppy first to ne person and giving a treat, then to the other person...and another treat... seems to work vey well to get the puppy coming to you with enthusiasm. Since there are treats involved, my wife is perfectly willing to do that part of the puppy training.

I guess what I am getting at is that any help, any involvement by one's spouse or significant other can be very positive and healthy, but that, as always, especially when working with dogs, it is most important to keep your ego in check and maintain a healthy sense of humor.

RayG

P.S -
Geeze - Just re-read this before posting and realized that there were portions where I was actually being sensitive and politically correct. I really need to cut that stuff out. :lol: :lol:

I am in the same boat, both of my dogs are her babies. When we get home from hunting and I get done hanging everything up and cleaning, you can bet that when I walk up those stairs there will be a 65lb lap dog cuddled up in the blankets because " He looked cold, and tired". I just laugh, wouldn't want it any other way though.

CTPaul

Post by CTPaul » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:46 pm

deke wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:oldtowneben -

RayG

P.S -

I am in the same boat, both of my dogs are her babies. When we get home from hunting and I get done hanging everything up and cleaning, you can bet that when I walk up those stairs there will be a 65lb lap dog cuddled up in the blankets because " He looked cold, and tired". I just laugh, wouldn't want it any other way though.
+1. Same story in my house. It's a good balance.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Not much left to say. guess I'll go finish my fried pickles!

Oldtowneben

Post by Oldtowneben » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 am

I sincerely regret my very poor choice of words , to-wit “playing”, which suggested
to some that my post had some frivolous intent. I think if I had said “participating” I would not have
suffered the ire or the annoyance of members. Not my intention to pick a fight. Having said that I have to say the first salvo reminded me of my drill sergeant at infantry basic training in Ft. Polk in 1969, who saw an upward tilt in my lips and snarled, “what’s so funny , private, git that grin off my parade ground.”
The self-deprecating humor I intended was the mis-placed egotistical reaction I had when I realized that my wife, who has a great relationship with the dogs in a non-hunting mode, wanted to get involved in what had been “my” domain. The lady trainers in the forum quickly picked up on that, and the responses were great. I appreciate all the very constructive comments on the “dual trainer” issue , which was my concern.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 am

thanks for playing.
We now know why you lurk. You're a troll.

Everyone take note.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:34 am

SubMariner wrote:
thanks for playing.
We now know why you lurk. You're a troll.

Everyone take note.
Seems like a rather rapid judgment of what might have been an attempt of humor.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 am

Oldtowneben wrote:

thanks for playing.
It was more than the misspoke "playing", the comments of "sardonic humor" and "we males need re-calibration" that I found annoying.

But hey, let's be friends and enjoy our dogs, I hope you continue to contribute.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:31 am

Neil wrote:
Oldtowneben wrote:

thanks for playing.
It was more than the misspoke "playing", the comments of "sardonic humor" and "we males need re-calibration" that I found annoying.

But hey, let's be friends and enjoy our dogs, I hope you continue to contribute.
I don't. The OP's annoying.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:42 am

I wish I had the same problem.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
Neil wrote:
Oldtowneben wrote:

thanks for playing.

I don't. The OP's annoying.
Remember that is your problem and not the OP.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm

This is a non issue. Mine won't even listen to my dog talk lol. Let the woman train.