Tattoo tracking on GSP rescue

bgcole

Tattoo tracking on GSP rescue

Post by bgcole » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am

I recently rescued an 18 month old GSP who has a tattoo on his thigh starting with SH and then a letter and 3 numbers...on his thigh it looks like:

SH
M123

I haven't found any registry that uses a similar prefix

Anybody have any ideas? Id like to be able to track down the breeder if I can

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Tattoo tracking on GSP rescue

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:12 pm

bgcole wrote:I recently rescued an 18 month old GSP who has a tattoo on his thigh starting with SH and then a letter and 3 numbers...on his thigh it looks like:

SH
M123

Im not sure that is a tracking number because it is also a model of shoe made by Shimano... Seems kinda unlikely that a random combo of numbers and letters would be the same. SH= Shimano and M123 is the model.

Brian Smith

Post by Brian Smith » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:01 pm

We had a call from our local dog warden about a found shorthair here in Geauga co., ohio. I bailed it out and the girl running the rescue program for GSPC of Ohio took it off my hands. She discovered an unusal tat in the dogs ear, again not a number she was familiar with. After a few weeks a friend of hers looked at the marking and suggested it was Canadian, turn out she was correct.
Story went like this: Local breeder (GSPCO member sold a dog to a fellow out west for a trial dog, he took it to Canada for training( and here is where the ink came into being) and it washed out, Sold to a third party as hunting dog and somehow ended up back in our area of Ohio, contacted breeder who took the dog back and titled him as a gundog FC. Happy ending ,eh!

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
bgcole wrote:I recently rescued an 18 month old GSP who has a tattoo on his thigh starting with SH and then a letter and 3 numbers...on his thigh it looks like:

SH
M123

Im not sure that is a tracking number because it is also a model of shoe made by Shimano... Seems kinda unlikely that a random combo of numbers and letters would be the same. SH= Shimano and M123 is the model.
Thats funny... I have those MTB shoes too, although i prefer my specialized shoes

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Brian Smith wrote:We had a call from our local dog warden about a found shorthair here in Geauga co., ohio. I bailed it out and the girl running the rescue program for GSPC of Ohio took it off my hands. She discovered an unusal tat in the dogs ear, again not a number she was familiar with. After a few weeks a friend of hers looked at the marking and suggested it was Canadian, turn out she was correct.
Story went like this: Local breeder (GSPCO member sold a dog to a fellow out west for a trial dog, he took it to Canada for training( and here is where the ink came into being) and it washed out, Sold to a third party as hunting dog and somehow ended up back in our area of Ohio, contacted breeder who took the dog back and titled him as a gundog FC. Happy ending ,eh!
Thanks Brian - I checked the canadian databases but maybe ill check again. My intent is to keep Zep but id like to find the breeder to get some info...like his age and pedigree. Got him all up on his shots already

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Is it green?
Many shelters / vets are tattooing dogs in green ink to indicate it has been spayed / neutered.

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:53 am

Lucky Dog wrote:Is it green?
Many shelters / vets are tattooing dogs in green ink to indicate it has been spayed / neutered.
I looks black to me, but my wife is always telling me those color don't go together which, makes me think I'm color blind.

He has been clipped. so, that could be it.

Honestly i put in a few hours trying with no luck.... and I'm abandoning the effort. new shots all around, moving on with training him up.