GSP Starting from 18 months....go

bgcole

GSP Starting from 18 months....go

Post by bgcole » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks to this board first of all - I've learn a lot here over the years both now and with my last dog who was a viz

I had been looking for a started GSP or a GSP pup for around 6-8 months, so i stumbled on a 18 month old male who was in need of a new home, and regardless of his hunting abilities we really wanted to take him in because he was just in a bad spot... so the journey begins.

Things I'm doing:
*sit, stay, come and heel training about 10-20 minutes at a time, 1-2 times per day sometimes 3
*Check cord to do training, but also just to get him some exercise and fun around some fields
*loving on him - taking him places, meet people...dogs...stores where he's allowed
*Got him all up to date at vet
*joining local NAVHDA chapter
*Meeting with local NAVHDA trainer next week
*Taking him to see some farm raised pheasants next 2 weeks at a buddys farm
*just picked up wing and shot at library, reading that one for the first time
*I put my e collar (sd400) on him when we go out just to condition him - no immediate plans to use it until after trainers advice. I do want to get there though so I can run him off leash as soon as it makes sense.

How its going/observations:
*Hes a little bit more skittish towards strangers than your average pup... tail between legs, head down but he warms up quickly
*except for above his tail is always wagging - or straight up in the field (not docked). total amazing goof ball.
*Loud, frequent barker this guy is. I like it actually but my wife not so much, probably my neighbors arent too keen on it either. A bark collar is in the future but, i'm holding off for at least another couple weeks to let him chill
*He learns things very fast, doesn't mean he always does it, but he learns it. Generally speaking, I think he wants to please
*Hes very mellow in the house
*He likes birds, chipmunks and squirrels a lot
*If there are treats involved, he listens beautifully...instant sits...fast returns on come command.... no treats? some stubbornness comes out but if we are inside he will still usually do it pretty quickly.

Outside is a different ball game - I am the last thing in his mind, very hard to get his attention, hes looking and smelling all over. I couple of tugs and occasionally some "reeling in" on the check cord and he happily runs in, so i think thats great... hes hunting "stuff" so thats great too.

This is already turning into a book here, so im just hoping to leverage some of the many years of experience on this board on what you would be doing - but wanted to give a 10,000 foot view of the situation. Not a whole lot out there on getting an 18 month old started (at least that I have found)

With any luck (and alot of effort/time), I want to get him out in the field this Fall

rinker

Re: GSP Starting from 18 months....go

Post by rinker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Do you have access to at least one pigeon? If so, take a four feet or so piece of 3/4 or 1/2 inch pvc pipe, or a broom handle will do. Drill a hole in the end and tie a three feet piece of twine to it, tie the other end to a pigeon's leg. Take the dog to the field, carry the pigeon in one hand and the stick in the other. When the dog gets out away from you fifty yards or so, call to him, get his attention and then let the pigeon go so he will flap all around. When the dog comes to you grab the pigeon and keep walking. Repeat this two or three times and if the dog has any birdiness to him whatsoever, you will have his undivided attention. You should be able to spin him on a dime in the field when you call to him. By doing this you will be able to run him without holding on to a check cord and it also great for bonding.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

That is one lucky dog! Good for you. Your plan looks great. (If he rarely saw the out of doors earlier he will be easily distracted for a while.)

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

rinker wrote:Do you have access to at least one pigeon? If so, take a four feet or so piece of 3/4 or 1/2 inch pvc pipe, or a broom handle will do. Drill a hole in the end and tie a three feet piece of twine to it, tie the other end to a pigeon's leg. Take the dog to the field, carry the pigeon in one hand and the stick in the other. When the dog gets out away from you fifty yards or so, call to him, get his attention and then let the pigeon go so he will flap all around. When the dog comes to you grab the pigeon and keep walking. Repeat this two or three times and if the dog has any birdiness to him whatsoever, you will have his undivided attention. You should be able to spin him on a dime in the field when you call to him. By doing this you will be able to run him without holding on to a check cord and it also great for bonding.

I should be able to get one - Thanks. Ill try that this weekend -

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:55 pm

I think you are very much on the right track.

IMO the only major difference between your dog and a six month old puppy is its size. It knows as myuch as a puppy and at least for a while, its attention span, especially outside, will be that of a puppy. Soooo, think puppy...train puppy... Be patient...puppy. Keep your sense of humor..puppy.

Your dog may seem to come along very quickly for some things, but do not be misled...a lot of the quick response is the result of good genetics...once again just like you would expect from a puppy. Build on the good response, but don't take it for granted. The next time can be a total disaster. Your dog is mentally still at the puppy stage as far as learning bird dog hunting stuff.
Once it starts to get with the program, it "should" come along faster than a 6 month old puppy, but it may not because of baggage from its previous situation. Be patient...if it is in there, it'll come out.

Not all Navhda groups are created equal. Most have a core of very good trainers and dedicated dog folks. However, some can lean towards stricter discipline and high levels of compliance which requires more pressure on the dog. No big deal,. Just make sure the methods you use are consistent with your dog's temperament and that the dog stays happy and excited. It is your dog...train it the way that works for you.

RayG

GBranch830

Post by GBranch830 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Being easily distracted is just a shorthair being a shorthair, don't worry about that too much. It sounds like you are on the right track as far as bonding and spending time together. Once you have the connection, the dogs sole purpose in life will be to please you and take an interest in what you are trying to accomplish.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

GBranch830 wrote:Being easily distracted is just a shorthair being a shorthair, don't worry about that too much. It sounds like you are on the right track as far as bonding and spending time together. Once you have the connection, the dogs sole purpose in life will be to please you and take an interest in what you are trying to accomplish.
I keep hearing this but have never seen it. My dogs have always had their own agenda but once they are trained they begrudgingly do my bidding. But give them a foot and they will take a mile and you can start over with their training.

Ezzy