4 Mo GWP Pup escape artist

powbass@gmail.com

4 Mo GWP Pup escape artist

Post by powbass@gmail.com » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:01 pm

The pup has learned to escape between my legs when I exit his kennel with me carrying the poop scooping equip. He dozen't run off Yet?, Any ideas ? Thinking about the willow switch. I have tried the nose bumping on his crate to no avail.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: 4 Mo GWP Pup escape artist

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Ya know he's gonna do it. Come out of the kennel a different way. Stormy used to do that to me but I figured how to get in the way so he couldn't. I wouldn't take a switch to him. Four mo old, he's just being a pup!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 am

teach him to back away from you, but do it outside of his kennel to start. Put him on a leash, tell him Back up... walk into him a step or two and force him to step backwards. Once he gets the hang of that, you can use that command before you enter or exit his kennel.

No need to get nasty at this point, he has to be taught.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Find a better way in and out. Open the door in or block him somehow. I also throw a handful of treats on the floor as I leave so they have a temporary reason to stay... Don't be to tough on him or he'll hate the kennel and or become afraid of people when they are in the doorway. This sets up fear based kennel aggression. No fun!
Make it worth his while to stay in with bones, treat toys, chews etc.
And do not forget to exercise him lots! A tired puppy is less mischievous and more willing to cooperate.