Pointer Nose Image

RCB

Pointer Nose Image

Post by RCB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 am

I just had a pointer pup shipped to me that has a strange looking nose. Has anyone ever seen a nose like this and what do you think about it in general. I need to get back to the breeder on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by RCB on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

dog dr

Re: Pointer Nose Image

Post by dog dr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:07 am

make sure he doesnt have a cleft palate. probly fine, but just a thought. think there is a name for a nose like that but cant think of it right now.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:07 pm

The Braco Burges (burges pointer) has a nose like that.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:36 pm

The Turkish Pointer has a split nose, too. The feature is believed to go back to the old Spanish Pointer. It used to be believed that double-nosed dogs like that had an extraordinary sense of smell.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Wow. You learn something everyday here. I was thinking that nose formation might equal greater oxygen uptake too.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

The dog in the photo has a 'bifid nose' usually called a 'spit' or 'double' nose in dog circles. A bifid nose can occur in any breed of dog (and can also occur in humans and other animals). Anatomically, it is actually a cleavage in the structure of the nose itself. A good number of breed standards mention a split or double nose but when they do, it is always listed as a serious or disqualifying fault. The Pachon Navarro (the great great grandfather of the Pointer) standard is the only one that allows it.

It is interesting to speculate just how the double nose came to be viewed as a positive characteristic for the Pachon Navarro. It is certainly possible that an individual with a split nose just happened to be an excellent hunter with a very fine sense of smell. Was this then seen as “proof” that at double nose was better than a regular noseNowadays of course, breeders understand that the double nose offers no advantage over a normal nose and that it is simply a cosmetic feature of the breed. Furthermore, not all Pachones have a double nose. Nor do all breeders select for it. Pachon breeders understand that by using double-nosed dogs in their lines, they run the risk of producing pups with completely cleft palates. I was told that up to 10% of pups are either stillborn or are put down immediately after birth since the cleft is so profound that the they are incapable of breathing or nursing properly. But most Pachones have a moderate cleft and are fine. They can breathe and suckle, run and hunt just like any other dog.

Lots more info here:

http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2011 ... ro_17.html

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Forgot to mention, the dog in your photo is really, really CUTE!!! Post more photos! :)