Dog box brands

CamperioWB

Dog box brands

Post by CamperioWB » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 am

Before I take crap for posting something that's probably been asked about before, I did use the search option and didn't come up with much, in fact when I search dog box nothing comes up. My dog rides in the truck harnessed in, but I've thinking about getting a dog box for him. What brands should I look at? I live in TX and we constantly get heat indexes/into the triple digits (currently where we've been the past two weeks and will continue to be). When it's that hot I doubt I'll have him in it, but I still want one with plenty of ventilation for when it's moderately hot. I'll be looking at them at the Hunter's Extravaganza coming up, but wanted to find out brands I should check out/avoid before I go. Price isn't an issue, and I'll most likely get a double. I'm looking for around 24" height, since my dog is gonna be a big boy (he's larger than all the Shorthairs his age he's been around). It'll be for a Chevy 1500 with a 6'8" bed.

kcbullets

Re: Dog box brands

Post by kcbullets » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Deer Creek, you can also have them install fans if you wish.
Owens

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Sorry forgot one, Ainley out of Iowa.

In order I like Ainley, Deer Creek, and then Owen. Each have good website information.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 am

[quote="CamperioWB"]Before I take crap for posting something that's probably been asked about before, I did use the search option and didn't come up with much,
I wouldn't give you any crap I think it is a reasonable question :D I am interested to see what box's are popular today also. I was once accused of being a troll for asking a field trial question :D Questions are how we learn.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 am

I don't think they are available any longer, but I had an embossed aluminum 2 dog crate form Creative Sports Supply in Alabama about 30 years ago. When I told them it would be under a cap, they fabricated it with 6" of expanded aluminum grating all the way across the back for cross ventilation.

I actually prefer the embossed aluminum over the aluminum diamond plate. Those two and three dog diamond plate boxes would give Mr. Clean a hernia. I could take the embossed aluminum box in and out by myself.

If it got really hot, I would go to the freezer, pull out a couple 2 qt bricks of ice that I had made by filling and freezing old Orange Juice containers. Toss one in the kennel and keep one in a cooler for later. I would freeze them solid, then run the brick under warm water to slip the container off. A wrap of waxed paper and back in the freezer.

That works great to keep fresh caught fish REALLY fresh also. No freezer burn when the fish is underneath an inch of ice.

I gave the box to my son a few years back. It doesn't quite fit under the tonneau cover(the top compartment sticks up a little high) but the dog is fine.

If you do not have to take the box in and out, the weight is not an issue, but for me...it was.

RayG

5andaback

Post by 5andaback » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

Contact Anderson Ranch Kennels. They are a LCS supplier here in TX. They can order you an Owens box and drop ship it to your house.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

I have seen them with air conditioning units sitting on top of them similar to an R/V. I imagine you have to do the install yourself but I always thought it looked like a good idea

CamperioWB

Post by CamperioWB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Unfortunately there was none at the Hunter's Extravaganza. Of course the year I'm not looking for one there was 3-4 companies there. There is an Owens one I like that would fit what I need. Though I was wanting to see the brand I'm gonna go with before going with it. But sounds like Owens is a solid choice. I won't have to worry about weight, the box will be staying in the truck permanently (though I do need to decide how I want to secure it). So looks like I will be going with Owens. Thanks guys!

JAG06

Post by JAG06 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:43 pm

In Texas I am pretty sure the best boxes are made by Deerskin, with 4 inch insulation in roof, well insulated side walls and floor, all stainless inside and out, good fan, water tank, storage etc.
Of course it will cost a lot more than the ones with no insulation (or only plastic inserts for insulation), but they also keep their value exceptionally well. If you are concerned about heat, they a well insulated box like this makes a huge difference in comparison with the non-insulated boxes. For Texas heat you really need insulation and fan if you are going to transport dogs in summer. You can find their website and see their boxes. They are located just outside Dallas.