Baby quail

dog dr

Baby quail

Post by dog dr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:59 pm

I have a couple of newly hatched bob whites (2 days old) that seem to be doing well, but their feet are still curled under. they are up and moving around, but walking on the tops of their feet. Any thoughts?

Mumpy

Re: Baby quail

Post by Mumpy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Use Band-Aids. Cut the sticky ends off the Telfa pad. Put one sticky pad down, sticky side up and place the foot with toes extended on it. Put the other sticky pad down, sticky side down on top of this to make a "Foot Sandwich". Keep this on for at least 24 hours. Usually this is enough time for the feet to adhere to their new position but if need be, do it for another day.

dog dr

Re: Baby quail

Post by dog dr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Mumpy wrote:Use Band-Aids. Cut the sticky ends off the Telfa pad. Put one sticky pad down, sticky side up and place the foot with toes extended on it. Put the other sticky pad down, sticky side down on top of this to make a "Foot Sandwich". Keep this on for at least 24 hours. Usually this is enough time for the feet to adhere to their new position but if need be, do it for another day.
THANKS!! one of them looked better this morning, but the other may still need some help. On another note, whats the longest you have seen a bobwhite egg go before it hatches?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Curled feet is a sign of problems with humidity during incubation....

dog dr

Re:

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 am

birddog1968 wrote:Curled feet is a sign of problems with humidity during incubation....
I wondered about that. Humidity was staying around 50% most of the time, but i let it get low towards the end. Thank you