Garmin Astro/Alpha in Canada eh?

chiendog

Garmin Astro/Alpha in Canada eh?

Post by chiendog » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I know the subject of GPS tracking collars in field trials is a bit of hot button issue at the moment (which models are OK? which are not? etc.) but there is another issue you need to be aware of if you hunt in Canada.

In a nutshell, operating ANY model of GARMIN GPS collar (and some Tri-tronic e-collar transmitters) in the great white north is a no-no because the devices broadcast on a radio frequency that cannot be used without a license up here. Of course, the department in charge of regulating telecommunication frequencies in Canada is interested in compliance, not enforcement. There are no squads of radio-cops lurking behind hay bales on the prairies of Saskatchewan looking for offenders. So I am sure Astros and Alphas have been used in Canada for years by people willing to take the risk of maybe getting some sort of radio-rule ticket from...well, I have no idea who would actually hand them out.

Now, however, the latest software updates for Astros and Alphas includes a 'fix' that makes the device automatically turn the dog tracking feature off when it detects that it is outside of the US (being a GPS device, it knows where it is!). So anyone currently running an Astro or Alpha outside of the US is faced with a choice: either update the software and lose the ability to use it anywhere but in the US or leave the old version on the device and risk it quickly becoming obsolete. You would also have to say goodbye to any warranty repairs since sending it in for servicing would almost certainly mean a software update in the repair shop.

So are hunters and field trialers in Canada out of luck? Will all the nice Americans who come here every year to hunt and participate in field trials be forced to run their dogs without GPS collars (or at the very least, with them automatically turned off via the new software tweak)?

Nope. There is an alternative. The Sportdog Tek 1.0 is made in two versions, one that is legal in Canada and one that is made for the US market. The newer 2.0 model coming out in September will be an international model, compatible with rules on both sides of the border.

I've written a lot more on my blog here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2014 ... north.html

NLsetter

Re: Garmin Astro/Alpha in Canada eh?

Post by NLsetter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Guess I will not be doing any software updates anytime soon.

Jakezilla

Post by Jakezilla » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:20 am

Has anyone called Garmin and asked about this? When all this started in the spring a friend of mine called Garmin and he was told that this "fix" was put in to disable the units in Japan and Europe but the units would not be disabled in Canada.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:32 am

I have a call into them, expecting to hear back in a day or so. But according to Garmin's own website, the changes made from version 3.40 to 3.60 include "Disabled dog tracking when used in countries for which the radio frequencies are not authorized". http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=5483

Garmin is fully aware that the MURS radio band is not authorized for unlicensed use in Canada (or anywhere else for that matter. MURS is only open to the public "...where radio services are regulated by the FCC", so basically the US and its territories.) Garmin seems committed to the use of the MURS band since some of their new Tri-tronic e-collar transmitters use it as well (Pro Trashbreaker for example). More on the MURS band here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service