Shoot more birds with pointer?

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:11 am

Do you guys find having time to set up before the bird flushes increases your accuracy at all? For me, right to left crosser is a no brainer high percentage shot, but a left to right crosser is tough so I figured hunting grouse, getting to the left side of the dog and having the bird flush to my strong side would increase my odds.
Thoughts?

Gordon Guy

Re: Shoot more birds with pointer?

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am

While hunting Ruff grouse I'm lucky to get up TO the dog before the grouse flushes let a lone positioning myself for an optimum left to right or a right to left. Fortunately for us bird hunting is still unpredictable regardless if you hunt with a flusher or a pointer.

I suppose trying to position yourself while hunting behind a pointing dog is easier than a flushing dog especially if you hunt with someone, just not consistently.

For what it's worth..., The type of dog you hunt behind shouldn't be about shooting more birds. It's about the "Dance", the appreciation of the process. Of which...I hope.. there is some.... appreciation. Does the dog work make the hair on your neck stand up in excitement or does the weight of the birds in your game bag?

Meat is cheaper at the grocery store

mask

Post by mask » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 am

You may be up against an eye dominance thing. A trip to the skeet range will tell you. Gordon guy is correct buying meat is way cheaper but I'm hooked on those darn chukar.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

Everyone has that certain shot set up that is just a thorn in their side. Mine happens to be the easiest shot, flushing from right infront of me, and flying straight away. I can go to the range and shoot it all day, but can only hit a live bird 50% of the time.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 am

When I approach a pointing dog I always try to do so in such a way that I will get a good safe shot. When grouse hunting I am always looking for an opening in the trees where I might get a shot. Sometimes this works out perfectly, but more often it doesn't.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Nope, sixes for me. I spent twenty five plus yrs chasin flushing Labradors & now hunt with a GSP.
However, I'm older, slower and less jittery hunting with the GSP...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:35 pm

rinker wrote:When I approach a pointing dog I always try to do so in such a way that I will get a good safe shot. When grouse hunting I am always looking for an opening in the trees where I might get a shot. Sometimes this works out perfectly, but more often it doesn't.
I haven't chased grouse in quite a while, but looking for the openings and positioning myself to be able to shoot through them, did seem to help.

I have developed this habit of "stepping in" to the shot, so as I am getting into position for the shot, I check my footing repeatedly. If I have decent footing, especially on my front foot, I seem to do much better.

RayG

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 pm

I find it easier to push a gun than to pull one, especially on the second shot. I shoot left and my usual hunting partner, my dad, shoots right. So I walk on the right side and take the l to r shots and he takes care of the r to l flushers. I do think pointing breeds give you more time to set up for the shot but that's my own personal bias.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:While hunting Ruff grouse I'm lucky to get up TO the dog before the grouse flushes let a lone positioning myself for an optimum left to right or a right to left. Fortunately for us bird hunting is still unpredictable regardless if you hunt with a flusher or a pointer.

I suppose trying to position yourself while hunting behind a pointing dog is easier than a flushing dog especially if you hunt with someone, just not consistently.

For what it's worth..., The type of dog you hunt behind shouldn't be about shooting more birds. It's about the "Dance", the appreciation of the process. Of which...I hope.. there is some.... appreciation. Does the dog work make the hair on your neck stand up in excitement or does the weight of the birds in your game bag?

No worries, You don't have to explain the love of watching a dog work to me, I enjoy watching the dog work far more than I enjoy the actual shot sequence. I grew up taggin along behind a gsp without a gun, an when he locked up on point I would get as excited as If it were Christmas morning haha. I was just asking if it made a difference in the ability to get positioned for tricky shots or fast moving birds

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 pm

mask wrote:You may be up against an eye dominance thing. A trip to the skeet range will tell you. Gordon guy is correct buying meat is way cheaper but I'm hooked on those darn chukar.
I don't think I'm cross eye dominant, I've checked. It's just that when my family shoots trap, I'm always on the right, so I have way more gun time there, and it feels more natural.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 pm

deke wrote:Everyone has that certain shot set up that is just a thorn in their side. Mine happens to be the easiest shot, flushing from right infront of me, and flying straight away. I can go to the range and shoot it all day, but can only hit a live bird 50% of the time.
Haha that's so true. I miss the gimme shots more than I expect and make the hard shots more than I expect so I think it evens out

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 pm

rinker wrote:When I approach a pointing dog I always try to do so in such a way that I will get a good safe shot. When grouse hunting I am always looking for an opening in the trees where I might get a shot. Sometimes this works out perfectly, but more often it doesn't.
That's what I was asking, it seems like it might be a slight advantage over a surprise flush. I like that you use the point to set up for a safe, open shot. That is one advantage of a point, if the bird holds it gives you a second

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Quill, that's an awesome photo. My man, I have to come hunt with you some day.
Do you think your hunting style is different as far as what terrain and the speed you hunt an area?

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:42 am

As others have said I find shooting over a pointing dog a bit easier than shooting over a flushing dog. I look at the point, work out the best angle to shoot from then send the dog in to flush the bird. When shooting in woodlands, being able to choose the angle I shoot from and being able to choose where my feet are placed is often a help.

Bill T.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:57 am

+1

I hunt with springers because I love how biddable they are, their versatility, and their size... And I love watching them hunt. If I was only wanting to shoot birds I'd hunt preserves or play duck hunt on nIntendo.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 am

Minneguy wrote:Quill, that's an awesome photo. My man, I have to come hunt with you some day.
Do you think your hunting style is different as far as what terrain and the speed you hunt an area?
Gracie
Not too much different other than when the hound is on point I speed'er up. With the Lab's I could tell when they were birdy & tried to keep up while applying pressure to the brakes. This Lab here "Oak" had brake issue's and was constantly in the shop getting them checked & adjusted accordingly...

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:31 am

That shot's a beauty man! Outstanding - Well done!! :mrgreen:

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks mawn. She's framed and hangin in my office at work...
I'd been hunting Mountain Grouse (Blu's & Ruff's) here in Utah for close to twenty five yrs before the above pic was taken. When I started hunting them I didn't know of anyone who did other than deer hunter stories of shooting one for the camp dinner per-say... I read stories of fellers back east that took the game serious. I had to come up with my own set of rules because as you know these birds are not the brightest game bird's here in the west. A well placed rock & wha-lah you have dinner. No ground & pound, no limb sluicing, only shoot them on the wing was the rules... It's made for great sport over the yrs with many fond memories like the above pic. It was a tough and sloppy day as you can see, the ole iron pony muddied, the wet hound ran hard to only put up a handful of bird's mostly in tree stands with no shot. We were ending the day with one final push when we came to a clearing in a draw when I seen ole Oak was birdy, he flushed one bird back into the timber I swung around fired but the bird was gone no worse for the wear. I heard another flush that went up the draw so I swung left to right (my worst shot) too make a clean kill before it got a chance to disappear into the tree's. Some birds delivered to hand can have the same thrill as the first one. This bird certainly was one of those bird's...
However, I have to think how much better the pic would of looked with a brace hanging instead of the lone Ruff... :?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Minneguy wrote:
mask wrote:You may be up against an eye dominance thing. A trip to the skeet range will tell you. Gordon guy is correct buying meat is way cheaper but I'm hooked on those darn chukar.
I don't think I'm cross eye dominant, I've checked. It's just that when my family shoots trap, I'm always on the right, so I have way more gun time there, and it feels more natural.
Funny thing. I was always right eye dominant and a few years back had Lasik surgery to correct my eyesight and free myself from glasses and contacts. However, since then I have become left eye dominant and can't shoot worth a darn. Should probably shoot more skeet and get over it but just never seem to find the time.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Thanks mawn. She's framed and hangin in my office at work...
I'd been hunting Mountain Grouse (Blu's & Ruff's) here in Utah for close to twenty five yrs before the above pic was taken. When I started hunting them I didn't know of anyone who did other than deer hunter stories of shooting one for the camp dinner per-say... I read stories of fellers back east that took the game serious. I had to come up with my own set of rules because as you know these birds are not the brightest game bird's here in the west. A well placed rock & wha-lah you have dinner. No ground & pound, no limb sluicing, only shoot them on the wing was the rules... It's made for great sport over the yrs with many fond memories like the above pic. It was a tough and sloppy day as you can see, the ole iron pony muddied, the wet hound ran hard to only put up a handful of bird's mostly in tree stands with no shot. We were ending the day with one final push when we came to a clearing in a draw when I seen ole Oak was birdy, he flushed one bird back into the timber I swung around fired but the bird was gone no worse for the wear. I heard another flush that went up the draw so I swung left to right (my worst shot) too make a clean kill before it got a chance to disappear into the tree's. Some birds delivered to hand can have the same thrill as the first one. This bird certainly was one of those bird's...
However, I have to think how much better the pic would of looked with a brace hanging instead of the lone Ruff... :?

Good stuff! :mrgreen:
"tailgate shot" from the olden days when cameras required film - a GSP under my right arm, black lab tucked under the left with chuks, huns and phez taken however we could get 'em! :D :

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:54 am

DGFavor wrote:Image

So you say you don't like solid liver GSP's

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:28 pm

QuillGordon wrote:
Minneguy wrote:Quill, that's an awesome photo. My man, I have to come hunt with you some day.
Gracie
Not too much different other than when the hound is on point I speed'er up. With the Lab's I could tell when they were birdy & tried to keep up while applying pressure to the brakes. This Lab here "Oak" had brake issue's and was constantly in the shop getting them checked & adjusted accordingly...

Gorgeous photo!

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Not trying to be a dink, but next person who says anything about meat being cheaper at the grocery store is getting body slammed. I hunt because i love it, i hunt with dogs because i love watching them work. I also love to eat wild game, and enjoy cooking what i harvest. No need to tell me that its cheaper at the grocery store, because I would rather spend my whole paycheck on a weekend hunting trip with good friends, in scenic country and come home with no birds but tons of memories. I am just asking to see if the different hunting style has proven more effective.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:35 pm

DGFavor, thats an awesome photo! How did it work hunting with both? I dont know many guys crazy enough to try chukkars and huns with a lab, but i respect those that do! I have to imagine it takes some stamina to keep up lol

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:42 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Thanks mawn. She's framed and hangin in my office at work...

Have you seen the birds get smarter with the increase in hunting pressure?