What breed to buy? NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!

NewHunter1987

What breed to buy? NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!

Post by NewHunter1987 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:53 am

I am new to this page and new to hunting in general. I started duck hunting last year and enjoyed it very much, since my introduction to hunting I have become very interested in bird dogs. I have researched a lot about the different options and have concluded that I am a big fan of both the GSP and the Labs. My goal would be to get two dogs that can hike, camp, hunt ducks and some upland game, while at the same time being a good indoor dog and good with my 1 year old daughter and a wife who enjoys a clean house:).

What do you suggest? Can a GSP safely duckhunt in the cold Utah winters? Are the GSP and the Lab good options for what I am looking for? Help and advice is very much appreciated.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: What breed to buy? NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:19 pm

I suspect that a wirehair might be what you really need. Much better in cold water than a shorthair. If you want two, Lab and a shorthair is hard to beat. A lot of people like the Boykin spaniel but I have no idea how well it handles real cold water.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Although a GSP could do what you want, I think a Lab fits your criteria better.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:13 pm

You said : "hunt ducks and some upland..." I assume late season waterfowl hunting too.

As waterfowl seem to be your priority , I'd go with a German Wirehaired Pointer , Pudelpointer, Wire-haired Pointing Griffon or or lab. ( I'm sorry but no matter what you get, your house will never be as clean again. :) ) ** Pick a reputable breeder and watch his/her dogs hunt if possible.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 pm

NewHunter1987 wrote:I am new to this page and new to hunting in general. I started duck hunting last year and enjoyed it very much, since my introduction to hunting I have become very interested in bird dogs. I have researched a lot about the different options and have concluded that I am a big fan of both the GSP and the Labs. My goal would be to get two dogs that can hike, camp, hunt ducks and some upland game, while at the same time being a good indoor dog and good with my 1 year old daughter and a wife who enjoys a clean house:).

What do you suggest? Can a GSP safely duckhunt in the cold Utah winters? Are the GSP and the Lab good options for what I am looking for? Help and advice is very much appreciated.
Study a bit more ! Research a bit more , hunt a bit more , spend some time with the guy's you were with a bit more :wink:

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Maybe a german longhair great breed strong swimmers.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Wirehairs will drip water after they drink (keep a towel close if it matters). But surprisingly, they shed FAR less than shorthairs or labs. They are mammals,of course, but the hair grows to a certain length, dies and stay in the coat until pulled out with a simple grooming tool (Mars Coat King works well). You don't clip the coat; you pull it. Not much time involved with the right tool.

I've had all three coats (plus setters). Wires drip after drinking, but shed much less. And they're so amusing, your wife won't mind if no towel ls at hand. Bitches have less "beard", by the way, so less post-drink water on the floor.

You may find, though, that a bumptious young dog of decent size and any breed will, with the best of intentions, knock down a one-year-old kid by accident, and the kid may hurt a puppy by accident. Something to consider..

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 am

I do the same style of hunting, for many years I had a lab and a brittany. Both were great upland and waterfowl dogs, weather permitting of course. I wanted to have only one dog, I got a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, couldn't be any happier, surpassed all my expectations both upland and waterfowl.

CamperioWB

Post by CamperioWB » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:59 am

Wirehaired Pointing Griffons are great, and very versatile. Though yes there will be a lot of water dripped on the floor, my 12 week old gets about a 6x6 area by the water bowl wet if I don't wipe his beard. And he has nowhere close to the beard he will have when he's full grown. Of course he has a longer coat than most Griffons (within the breed there are longer and shorter coats). But since he's from dual lines he has a thicker, longer coat (purely field bred Griffons tend to have a shorter coat). But they barely shed, and don't require as much brushing as you would think for a longer haired breed. Though they are harder to find and you will have to get on a waiting list early out (for most breeders I would consider good, people were getting on the list over a year and a half out). When I was searching for what breed I wanted I went and hunt behind the breeds I was looking into, and that as well as my requirements helped me settle on the Griffon. It would make you're decision a lot easier if you could do the same.

Editing to add: From what I've seen GSP's don't do well as indoor dogs, they generally do better as kennel dogs.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

If your primary quarry is waterfowl, get a well bred working Lab. They'll retrieve until they can't walk anymore and will have the nose for upland hunting. The British lines seem to be a tad lighter than the American field lines, but don't just buy for size, buy for ability. Also, don't get two puppies at once.... In your situation, that would not end well. Get the Lab. They're duck machines and they're great for first time trainers.

codym

Post by codym » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 am

Get the Lab. They're duck machines and they're great for first time trainers.

+1

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am

Lots of good breeds can do what you are wanting. If you have a NAVHDA Chapter close you can go to a training day or test and see a lot of the breeds and talk with the owners. You can find the info at http://www.navhda.org/ under Chapter locator.
BTW we have had 4 GSP's in the house with no problem and 2 were pups 6 months apart.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Sounds like u need a lab

Greatwhitenorth

Post by Greatwhitenorth » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:02 pm

How about a Pudelpointer?

werkin2liv

Post by werkin2liv » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Buy a finished dog that is about 4-6 years old. With a one year old child, your training time will be limited. Get one that has been around kids--maybe a dog that didn't trial as well as the breeder wanted or someone that is getting out of the game. As far as the mess, any dog is going to track dirt and hair in the house. Get the wife a Roomba and laminate or tile floors for the house. Meet some NAVHDA people and talk to them about breed recommendations. Get one dog now and maybe a puppy in about 4-5 years. Or get a mutt from the local shelter as a second dog.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 am

Can't go wrong with a good Lab. There's a reason for their popularity.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:16 am

werkin2liv wrote:Buy a finished dog that is about 4-6 years old. With a one year old child, your training time will be limited. Get one that has been around kids--maybe a dog that didn't trial as well as the breeder wanted or someone that is getting out of the game. As far as the mess, any dog is going to track dirt and hair in the house. Get the wife a Roomba and laminate or tile floors for the house. Meet some NAVHDA people and talk to them about breed recommendations. Get one dog now and maybe a puppy in about 4-5 years. Or get a mutt from the local shelter as a second dog.
I second this advice. No matter which breed you decide on, make sure you have a little age distance in the two dogs. Two puppies for a first timer (hunting dogs I mean) is really a recipe for disaster. I have placed MANY "recycled" dogs that have made great hunting dogs, but others that have not had much desire to hunt. I'd go with a reputable breeder and get a started or finished dog (there are always many on here). Either breed, you will likely have very little trouble even turning a kennel dog into a family dog in no time. We have three "recycled" dogs, two from the shelter and one from a guy getting out of birddogs - got 'em at one year, 11 months or so, and five years old respectively. They fit in our family as if they were raised here - great inside dogs and all three are excellent hunting companions. If you buy from a reputable breeder, you will have a better chance of finding what you want as long as you pick the right breeder. Join a local training club (NAVHDA has been mentioned) and see the dogs work - then make up your mind which style of dog you like - then find the right breeder.

The mess comes with owning dogs - just be prepared to have a bit of a lifestyle change with a dog in the house! Dogs throw up, poop and pee on the floor and shed. Labs chew up everything in sight....forever. You'll have a lot more cleanup and general chaos with a puppy than with an adult dog.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 am

You should definitely consider a Pointing Lab - - - That way you only need one dog.
I'm not sure, but I think Sauk River Labradors currently has one or two litters of PLs on the ground.

ctcahoe

Post by ctcahoe » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:21 am

I'm on my second pointing lab right now and couldn't be happier. He is great with my five year old and one year old. They shed obviously, but routine brushing and a Roomba makes it a non-issue. I considered getting a GSP this last time around, but decided to stick with what I knew. They are fantastic retrievers that point. If you are mainly a waterfowl guy, you won't go wrong with a lab.

http://www.gundogmag.com/breeds/gundog_breeds_lab_0616/