Ahhhh,, Finaly found a new Good Vet

GSP7

Ahhhh,, Finaly found a new Good Vet

Post by GSP7 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:22 pm

My vet I used for 'bout 25 years(was a bird hunter/britiney owner) retired sold his practice to some crat vet :roll: . He Was for the most part a great vet.

Got a older dog that has been needing to see the vet

Trying to find and switching different vets for over a year. Im amazed at the terrible vet offices out there. I am paying for Veterinarian consultation not for Vets that use their office girls to give veterinarian advice and vets that act like they are to busy and hide in back and dont advice you or even talk to you and dont even call you back on the phone with results of tests etc

Finally I found a good vet. Went to University of Oklahoma. Good vet is one thing and I like how he runs his office too. Answers questions personally and calls me back on the phone personally. He is very experienced and knowledgable, I can tell.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

jfwhit

Re: Ahhhh,, Finaly found a new Good Vet

Post by jfwhit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Awesome. Good vets are hard to find. I am curious though. Did he attend OSU instead of OU? Oklahoma State has the vet school. My best friend/vet graduated from there.

zrp

Post by zrp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Great to hear the good news. I also graduated from the Oklahoma State Vet School. I'd be interested to find out who he or she was.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Im sure it was Oklahoma State U , if thats the vet school. He had it framed hanging on the wall like a Good Vet would.

My old Vet that retired went to Colorado state

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 pm

We moved a few years ago and had to find a new vet. I JUST (and I mean just....in the last 6 months) have found one that I really like. Conservative, reasonably priced, responsive, does low cost spay/neuter, shot clinics 3 x a month, volunteers for rescue, and handles small & large animals. I've had 4 of the 7 dogs to see him, and he was out last weekend for coggins/shots for 3 horses. $42 farm call.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:09 pm

Interesting post. I was wondering what was meant by a "good vet". My vet trials her retrievers so understands hunting dogs. That is important to me.

czeger

Post by czeger » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am

Finding a good vet is almost as important as finding a good breeder. We recently switched to the vet our breeder use we are more than happy with him now it's doesn't hurt that he ha a Brittany and he's got a sof to spot for bird dogs

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Sharon wrote:Interesting post. I was wondering what was meant by a "good vet". My vet trials her retrievers so understands hunting dogs. That is important to me.
I have wondered about this too. I really think what people mean is they found one they like and that has little to do with how good they might be.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:14 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Sharon wrote:Interesting post. I was wondering what was meant by a "good vet". My vet trials her retrievers so understands hunting dogs. That is important to me.
I have wondered about this too. I really think what people mean is they found one they like and that has little to do with how good they might be.
I agree. What always throws me off is when they say they found a vet that knows hunting dogs. My opinion is that as far as physiology and anatomy are concerned, a dog is a dog is a dog. There are very few things, if any, that a hunting dog will come into contact with or be exposed to that a non-hunting dog will not, if you really stop and think about it. I think what they mean is they found a vet that understands hunters. I have often wondered if, as a veterinarian, am I there to serve, respond to, and treat the animal or the owner?? I would argue that it is at least as much the owner as it is the dog, sometimes more. BUT, I also agree that finding a vet your comfortable with is definitely very important. Glad you found one you like!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:38 pm

I've found far more good veterinarians than good veterinarian office hollow bosses....those ladies, mostly, can negatively affect the customer attitude toward a practice, ime.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:49 pm

dog dr wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:
I agree. What always throws me off is when they say they found a vet that knows hunting dogs. My opinion is that as far as physiology and anatomy are concerned, a dog is a dog is a dog. There are very few things, if any, that a hunting dog will come into contact with or be exposed to that a non-hunting dog will not, if you really stop and think about it. I think what they mean is they found a vet that understands hunters. I have often wondered if, as a veterinarian, am I there to serve, respond to, and treat the animal or the owner?? I would argue that it is at least as much the owner as it is the dog, sometimes more. BUT, I also agree that finding a vet your comfortable with is definitely very important. Glad you found one you like!

LOL Well said. Every Dr. has to have a good bedside manner. Just had knee surgery; I asked the surgeon when my knee would feel normal again.
She said, " Depends how big a whiner you are." :roll:

I like a vet who has hunting dogs because they understand about letting the dog off leash in the bush/woods and the risks that involves. Had a vet once who who rolled his eyes when I said I hunted the dog .
One really has no idea if their vet or Dr is any good. For all I know mine failed the "signs of mange/anatomy of the hips" part. :) All we can really go by is ,"Do I like the guy/gal?" as Ezzy said.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:24 am

Mountaineer wrote:I've found far more good veterinarians than good veterinarian office hollow bosses....those ladies, mostly, can negatively affect the customer attitude toward a practice, ime.
you are exactly right!! I would throw the receptionist in that mix as well. Often the first person the client talks to can affect their impression of the whole clinic.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:18 am

I have had the same vet for 17 years. I think it is extremely important to have a ongoing relation ship with your vet. Actually the same receptionist also. If you only show up in an emergency, you probably will not be treated the same as a regular client. I pay my vets to do the tails and dew claws, and shots. I could do these myself, but I think they are entitled to make a living and when my bitch retained a puppy, they were there at midnight to save her life. I am willing to pay for that. I do not have the slightest interest in their view of hunting dogs, though both own pointing dogs.(wire hair and a Wiem) I am also not interested in their opinion of my dogs' condition since I have a pretty strong opinion on what is a good conditioned dog. It took awhile to convince them my needs were different than a pet owners. But, we discuss and argue and the dogs do well, either because of us or in spite of us.
In the last week I had a bitch get a stomach infection from eating 12 cups of dog food a day plus cleaning up after 10 puppies. She may not have survived without their testing. I had OFA hips and elbows and microchipped done on one dog. I had a 7 week old puppy break her femur from climbing on a lawn chair and falling off, next week first shots, Yes, I have a good vet Clinic and I support them. Garrison Animal Hospital, Garrison, Mn..............Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:52 am

dog dr wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:I've found far more good veterinarians than good veterinarian office hollow bosses....those ladies, mostly, can negatively affect the customer attitude toward a practice, ime.
you are exactly right!! I would throw the receptionist in that mix as well. Often the first person the client talks to can affect their impression of the whole clinic.
I agree . I hate it when the tech starts telling me what is wrong with my dog. Just had an experience where the techie was absolutely wrong- discovered after I talked to the vet.( Techie said the dogs diarrhea was due to Metacam; vet said giardia. :( )