Headed to Minot, ND

fishvik

Headed to Minot, ND

Post by fishvik » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:33 am

My son and I are headed to Minot to a hockey camp in a few weeks and I'm thinking about taking one of my dogs. Are there open places to run a dog close to town and are place along the river that will allow me to swim him?

hi-tailyn

Re: Headed to Minot, ND

Post by hi-tailyn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

http://ndgf.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap ... e3b3fe35b1

Map should give you some ideas where to go. Might call wildlife headquarters and double check about PLOTS which are the walkin areas in ND. Don't know if they are open before bird season or not. I have hunted on them for Sharptails and Huns. Any questions, we just went to likely owner's house and always got a OK or ideas where was a better place to hunt or just get dogs on birds.

Enjoy your self.

dakotagun

Re: Headed to Minot, ND

Post by dakotagun » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:34 am

Grew up and work in Minot. Live about an hour south, so don't do those things with my dogs in that area, but have some ideas... There's a dog park in the city, SW corner, for running him in town, and a spot on the river just west of that, just off of the west bypass, that has a small coffer dam and might be a place to get him wet. Actually, I took my pups to a sand and gravel pit further north on that bypass, where they had some larger ponds with nice shoreline, for their initial water intro. (Live by Lake Audubon now, so that's done differently these days).
There's some open spaces on the southwest edge of town, near the YMCA, where you could run him safely, I believe. That's where I'd head at this point. Drop me a line if you have Q's.