Throwing Up

RichK

Throwing Up

Post by RichK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm

In the past two weeks my pup has thrown up after drinking water. She drinks a lot, definitely more than she needs to. After her drinking binge she will throw up within a few minutes. These drinking binges are usually first thing in the morning after she's been in bed all night.

Is this just due to her not knowing when to quit or could it be a more severe problem?

Ms. Cage

Re: Throwing Up

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 pm

What time do you cut her water off at night. restrict the amount she drinks in the morn. Could it be more then binge drinking??? My guess is binge drinking.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:What time do you cut her water off at night. restrict the amount she drinks in the morn. Could it be more then binge drinking??? My guess is binge drinking.
I don't cut her water off at night, should I?

I think it's also that she is just drinking too much but just wanted to check here.

Aside from this and her car sickness she's such an awesome pup. Absolutely awesome in the water, about as natural as they come. Loves to retrieve and is doing very well on birds. I can't wait to test her this fall.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:31 pm

If she's drinking that much after getting out of her crate , she must need it. How much is she crated during the day? Is she getting enough water during the day before bedtime time crating?

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Sharon wrote:If she's drinking that much after getting out of her crate , she must need it. How much is she crated during the day? Is she getting enough water during the day before bedtime time crating?
It depends. I work from home like 4-5 day a week and she'll be in the crate a few hours during the work day so the house doesn't sound like Wrestlemania with the two GSPs and the chihuahua who seems to instigate all of the wrestling.

During those few hours in the crate I let her out every 1-2 hours to go outside and drink.

When she's out the rest of the day she has access to an unlimited water supply.

She isn't crated for bed time, she sleeps in the bed.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Well then not getting water is not the problem. Excessive drinking of water is a sign of diabetes in humans. Hopefully it's not that.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Sharon wrote:Well then not getting water is not the problem. Excessive drinking of water is a sign of diabetes in humans. Hopefully it's not that.
I doubt it is. She acts fine and is very healthy according to the vet and acts it.

I'll mention it to the vet when I'm there next week though.

I think her puppy energy gets the better of her and she goes all out when it comes time to drink.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:17 pm

RichK wrote:In the past two weeks my pup has thrown up after drinking water. She drinks a lot, definitely more than she needs to. After her drinking binge she will throw up within a few minutes. These drinking binges are usually first thing in the morning after she's been in bed all night.

Is this just due to her not knowing when to quit or could it be a more severe problem?
#2 GSP (now 3 yrs old) has always wanted more water than #1 (7 yrs old). About a month after we got him we took him to the vet because we thought he might have a problem because of the amount of water he was drinking. He checked out perfectly fine. He just needs more water than #1 (who seems to be something of a camel).

Meanwhile, he will drink too much too quickly & throw up. This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes when we are in the field & he's been running, he comes to us for water. We give it to him, he gulps it down as fast as he can, starts to run, then stops & throws up some of the water.

He is also the dog who can't eat ice, no matter how small the chip is -- it makes him throw up as well.

I suspect he just has a sensitive esophagus: too much water too quickly or something too cold -- his system can't handle it. In all other respects he's a normal GSP. (If those two words can be used together -- :mrgreen: )

jwyoung97838

Post by jwyoung97838 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

My Llewellin does the same thing. Has always checked out at the vet who was also the breeder of my pup just fine. My trick to lessening the number of clean-ups on aisle 3 is having the water dish near the dog door and then sending him out after his morning drink session. Other than that he's been an awesome dog and is a bird finding machine.